General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

4th Gen ('81-'88): V6 beef-up before engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Default V6 beef-up before engine swap

Hello All, I am a new member to the site. I recently purchased a 1985 Monte Carlo for my son as a first car. He wanted to go a little "old school" and have something more classic for when he starts to drive.

It currently has a 4.3 v6 with fuel injection, which I am fine with as he learns how to drive. I don't need him to have a monster just yet. In the meantime, are there any modifications that you can think of that we can do to make it more sexy / cool for a 17 year old. I was thinking of putting on a cherry bomb or flowmaster muffler for some beefy sound, maybe some chrome engine parts. What are your suggestions that would be worth while?

Lastly, I have a great junk yard not too far from me. Down the line, I am thinking of swapping out the engine all together for a V8. Are there any engines that would work better than others? I have heard people using 5.7 liter chevy truck engines and trans to swap. Does that work?

Thanks for any tips or advise.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

welcome to the site! Being a 4th gen lover myself I would just do some basics under hood for now. As for mufflers personally I don't like the sound a v6 has with flowmasters or cherry bombs. Yes a 5.7 liter will work. I started out with v6 and swapped out with a 350sb and went all in with the goodies and haven't stopped lol. you have few options with trans 350th etc.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi tcline, me again.

I realize you didn't ask about this, but if I know teenagers, they tend to prioritize a car's appearance and sound system over engine stuff, and that made me think of this 1985 SS in an issue of Car Craft magazine:

There's upgrade ideas like a custom hood, power antenna, and 16-inch wheel-and-tire package that would be cool for an '85 CL too.
A street-legal window tint isn't a bad idea either.

Going back under the hood, you could probably use an 8mm spark plug performance wire set for a 305, and fit a set of new spark plugs while you're at it (especially if the current plugs it has aren't so good).

Old 02-11-2017, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I like the look of the cowl hood. I will show it to my son and see what he thinks