General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Power Steering Whine

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Power Steering Whine

I have changed my power steering pump on my 2001 Monte LS three times and I cannot get rid of the whine. I got the pump from Autozone last year and have been dealing with this problem since. Some days it's fine most time it's noisy.

Is there a better pump out there or do I have another problem?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

100% sure it's the PS pump, and not the tensioner?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 PM

It's definitely the power steering pump. It's under warranty still,but I don't want to waste my time with another duralast pump. Does anyone have a recommendation for pump that will work?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Default ps pump

I'm battling this problem too on my '07 v6. Everything i've read and researched indicates that you really need to use an oem delco pump. I'm considering going to a junkyard and getting a used one with low mileage that was original. I've done the pipe to pump stethoscope test to ensure the noise is coming from there as well. I've also removed my belt and started up the car to eliminate sources that may not be belt driven. I don't believe mine to be any other part either. I would like to know how you could tell if it's the rack? I did perform an inspection of it and saw no leaks. can it fail internally without a leak? I've also heard of people saying they needed to replace the lineset and that solved the problem.

have you cleared the fluid and replaced with new? the way i did that was to jack up front end, unhook supply line coming from rack and drain into a bucket. You turn the wheel all the way to the right, fill pump, turn left, fill pump. repeat cycle until you have all new fluid in system.

I've also read that it's just a poor design on that part of the engine and you may have to live with the noise.

I'll post my findings about the used pump i found with 55K miles once i go and pick it up. Hoping that gets me another 50K miles. My problem started with about 175K miles on it.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:37 PM

Good luck and please keep me updated. I just did a power steering pump on my 2003 Ranger 2.3 2wd 5 speed. It's in with no whine.

I'm going to try another autozone pump for free. I'm getting real good at doing these.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Default been there

Originally Posted by monte67
Good luck and please keep me updated. I just did a power steering pump on my 2003 Ranger 2.3 2wd 5 speed. It's in with no whine.

I'm going to try another autozone pump for free. I'm getting real good at doing these.
I tried getting another pump also from advancedauto. no dice. still have the whine. boo

going to try the oem route before it gets too cold here in michigan.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Default system bled right?

I did find this video, maybe I have too much air in my system.

Last edited by montecarlo48178; 09-24-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Default leak

I bought a hand pump that you use for bleeding brakes and a mityvac adapter for power steering pumps so I could extract air from the system per the ac delco youtube video i posted earlier.

I pumped for like 20 minutes, and was not able to create suction in the system. I must have a leak somewhere. It makes me wonder if my pump was never bad and the issue is somewhere else :/

back to the drawing board.