General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

New to me 02 SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Default New to me 02 SS

Hey guys, I just bought my first bowtie car yesterday and im loving it. However there is a weird squeaking noise coming from the drivers side front end when I go over bumps. It happens at high or low speed and sounds like it may be coming from the struts or engine mounts.

Im heading back to the dealer Monday to have them take a look and I want to have a better idea of what to expect.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Default RE: New to me 02 SS

inter mediate steering shaft needs greased or replaced iss this isvery common in this year and model of car.having the same problem now.this is the 3 time i had to have this done. from what you saying this could be your problem

Old 11-30-2008, 05:34 PM

I kinda got a little shimmy in the wheel when it made the sound but I wasnt sure if it was related. Thanks for the tip.....

Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM

Got the Monte back from the dealer and it was the Intermediate Steering Shaft. Now my car smells like they set of a WD-40 bug bomb. I hope it clears up soon because I was light headed when I got home.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:25 PM

The squeaking sound is back!!!!! I guess the WD-40 dried up. Im pretty sure its the drivers side strut or the rubber boot. Either way its freaking annoying to hear every time i go over a bump or dip in the road.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:46 AM

There was a write-up around here somewhere on how to lube the shaft yourself and it looked pretty easy. Many people reported success with this method. I'll try to dig for it.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Check out this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/m_50522/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
Although the link to the write-up over at mymonte.com isn't working anymore and I tried to do a search over there but their search function is worse than ours. Maybe someone that frequents the mymonte forum will be able to find the write-up for you. I also found several mentions of a new part with a nylon bushing that fixes the problem...

Found this:
http://mymonte.com/discussion/index....steering+shaft
And this:
http://mymonte.com/discussion/index....steering+shaft

Hope that helps