General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 Dale Earnhardt SS...too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Question 2002 Dale Earnhardt SS...too many miles?

Let me first apologize if this belongs in a different section. I did a quick look around, and this seemed the most appropriate forum.

Been a while since I've been on here. I used to have a 2002 LS, but cracked it up in an accident. I was having the gasket issues, and getting oil in my radiator, so I wound up trading it in before it became a major headache.

Anyway, I came across an add for a 2002 Dale Earnhardt SS, that by the photos looks to be in pretty good shape, but the car has over 160,000 miles on it. I always wanted one of these, and I'm tempted to see if I can snag it...but the mileage scares the hell out of me. It's at a used car dealership, so I doubt service records will be available.

Is it worth the look at that high mileage...or should I run as far and as fast as I can?

Thanks in advance!

SJM

Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you can get it for about $3k it is worth it.

Figure the transmission might be soon to go, and it's probably time to do the LIM and UIM gaskets.

If you are confident that you can do the gaskets yourself, and want to just throw in a junkyard transmission for a couple hundred bucks, it could be a great deal.

But only ONLY if you are competent doing maintenance yourself. If you are paying for someone to do this stuff, then a car that old and that high of mileage is too much of a money pit.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 PM

I'm not a big fan of high mileage cars myself unless I have the chance to rack and drive them. At 160k things that its going to need if they haven't been replaced: Transmission rebuild, LIM gaskets, all tie rod ends, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, ball joints, struts, brakes (pads, rotors).

Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just don't pay a ton for it because it's an Earnhardt edition. If it's a nice car that has been well maintained i say go for it.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 PM

I'm of 2 minds about this car.

The Internet price is $4400. I'm looking to get out of my current vehicle as the MPG (or GPM, actually) is really getting to me, and hopefully get some cash in my pocket to boot.

First I figure since its an Earnhardt, it should have been reasonably well maintained. Not that dealer photos can be trusted, but the engine compartment looks relatively clean.

Second, if I get it, it's going to have to last for a while (long story), and I don't have a ton of money to throw into it.

I think I'm just too in love with it visually and not really viewing it objectively about it.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I appreciate it.

Last edited by SouthJerseyMonte; 06-21-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 PM

Chibi, I see you're in Elkins Park. I'm 10 minutes on the other side of the Walt Whitman, so not that far away. I've never really done more than add fluids and installed a battery...but I am willing to learn from someone who knows what they're doing and is willing to teach.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As for the clean looking engine bay... An engine shampoo disguises many leaks. Hopefully long enough for them to sell it. Can't go by having a spotless engine bay.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
As for the clean looking engine bay... An engine shampoo disguises many leaks. Hopefully long enough for them to sell it. Can't go by having a spotless engine bay.
Taz , that's the truth, I can't remember how many times car dealers
wanted to know why I was on the ground laying under car..
Most just clean top side..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry
Taz , that's the truth, I can't remember how many times car dealers
wanted to know why I was on the ground laying under car..
Most just clean top side..
LOL i did that in the rain befor I bought mine on december 26th so it was wet and cold. Dealer laughed and said dont worry it has had a 200 point inspection so no leaks guaranteed.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Ain't that the truth. I've test driven cars that looks spotless, and there were a few oil drops on the asphalt after sitting back on the lot for 10 minutes.

I think in the end I'm going to pass, but just for giggles I'll probably call the dealer to see what they say about any service the previous owner might have done, and if they can email the carfax. I'd be curious to see what, if anything, it shows in terms of service records.

Thanks again, guys!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 Dale Earnhardt SS...too many miles?