Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Help!!!!!!!!!! How do I get my check engine light off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Default Help!!!!!!!!!! How do I get my check engine light off?

This is frustrating me. I have a 04 SC MC and i have an exhaust, u-bend delete, resonator delete, and hi flow cat.

I took my car to the muffler shop and they used the scanner to i guess temporarily cut off my check engine light, but it cut back on a couple days later. I know nothing is wrong with my car because i just had it checked out. what exactly do i need to do to get the check engine light off forever?

I would really appreciate it for someone to tell me what i need to do to get this thing fixed. its irritating

Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Default RE: Help!!!!!!!!!! How do I get my check engine light off?

hmm the codes can be reset by someone with a scanner...but if it came back on then idk what to suggest

Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I thinkyou can have the code deleted from the computer. Getting a P0420 code?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Honestly Dustybird I don't know what u mean. What is a P0420 code?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 PM

P0420 is the Bank 2 Oxygen Sensor Code. It is the sensor right after the cat converter and is the reason for the U-Bend. It takes measurements to make sure your cat converter is working properly.

If you havea Hi-Flow cat I would put money on that is the reason for the CEL.

2 options.

1. go out and buy a OBD2 scanner for $100 at Walmart and clear the code every time it pops up. That is what I did originally.

2. Buy an HP Tuner or find someone who has one and simply delete the code. I just got my HP Tuner and unlocked it for all 04 Monte's and will be doing that this spring.

I might be making a trip to Ohio this Spring as well so I could delete it for you if you wanted to meet me somewhere.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Photobucket

Ok, well, if you have a CEL coming on then you need to know why it's coming on. They don't just come on for no reason. I was "assuming" that it was throwing that code because of your exhaust/cat. It's a catalytic converter code and several people that have made cat mods have either gotten a cat code or an o2 sensor code. If the code is not due to your mods, then you could have a problem somewhere else that needs attention.
I wouldn't want to turn it off just to get rid of it, I'd want the problem fixed. If it's due to your mods then it maybe can't be "fixed", if that's the case then I "think" they can be deleted from the computer, but I don't know it's done exactly (a tuner maybe?)

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Photobucket

04, that's exactly what Advance Autotried to tell me that code was, but in my case it was not the sensor, it was the cat. My Haynes manual and my code reader manual say the same - that it's the cat.

You can get a code reader at Harbor Freight for$40, $30 on sale.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 AM

ORIGINAL: tlip06
I took my car to the muffler shop and they used the scanner to i guess temporarily cut off my check engine light, but it cut back on a couple days later. I know nothing is wrong with my car because i just had it checked out. what exactly do i need to do to get the check engine light off forever?
As said above- you really need to take it somewhere and get it scanned to find out what the code is. Have them write down the # of the code, and come back and post it on here. Many stores do the service of scanning codes for free (such as autozone, etc), and it onlytakes a few minutes.

Resetting the code will do absolutely nothing if the problem still exists. Just because you recently had your car checked out doesn't necessarily mean thatsomething hasn't happened since then. Also, if its the code mentioned aboveabout the cat- then there are special procedures you'll have to follow to get the code to keep from coming back (ie running an emulator, orturning the code off inpcm tuning).

But no one can tell you what to do unless you post whatthe code # is. For all we know, it could be the P0420 from it not liking your new cat, or it could be a transmission code- or a random misfire, etc etc etc. Its a shot in thedark to tell you what to do without knowing the # of the code.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 AM

Ok 04 Intimidator when do u think that u will be coming to Ohio. I hope u are close to where I live. I live in the Cleveland area. So hopefully we will be able to get this done.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

04, that's exactly what Advance Autotried to tell me that code was, but in my case it was not the sensor, it was the cat. My Haynes manual and my code reader manual say the same - that it's the cat.

You can get a code reader at Harbor Freight for$40, $30 on sale.
Yeah that was written a bit too technical. When the bank 2 code goes off it means there is a problem with that cat. I wrote it funny in my second sentance.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!!!!!!! How do I get my check engine light off?