Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 Monte Carlo SS - In Need of Transmission. Interchange Guidance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Default 2000 Monte Carlo SS - In Need of Transmission. Interchange Guidance?

Does anyone happen to know what other vehicles use the same transmission as my 2000 Monte Carlo SS, 38.L V6?

Long story short, when I am driving on the highway, my overdrive till "go away"/disengage, forcing me to give the engine a lot more gas to maintain my current speed and considerably more to accelerate. This issue is almost constant now. I do not get any engine codes related to my transmission. I do get a couple other codes completely unrelated and I'll make a different thread for these issues (one is P0400, another is a 1st Cyl. Misfire, and the newest one I am getting is P0336.)

So, I am wondering, do you think it would be more beneficial for me to go get a transmission from a car at Pull-A-Part or should I try to repair whatever the problem is (which I have read could be one of two, or both, solenoids in the transmission). I am eager to get your advice.

I know I may sound out of touch when it comes to my car, but I am pretty experienced with working on my engine, not so much with the tranny.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Question for you. Does this only occur on the highway, or does it do it on a lot of road while the car is warmed up?

I am curious if you are just having the symptoms of a clogged cat.

With that said, you can find a 98-02 transmission from a Monte, 00-02 Impala, and 98 - 02 Grand Prix. Don't go newer than 02 because they changed in 03.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Question for you. Does this only occur on the highway, or does it do it on a lot of road while the car is warmed up?

I am curious if you are just having the symptoms of a clogged cat.

With that said, you can find a 98-02 transmission from a Monte, 00-02 Impala, and 98 - 02 Grand Prix. Don't go newer than 02 because they changed in 03.
I appreciate your question and I'll do my best to answer it.

I took a 35 mile trip thru many hills, curves, etc, and averaged around 65mpg the whole way. I did not lose my overdrive once during that trip, neither one the way to my destination nor on my way home. The very next day, I drove 55 miles along another 'back road', this time going anywhere from 45 to 70 mph. The one time I hit 70mph, I lost my overdrive for the rest of the trip (about 15 miles).

Here's the kicker though. There's a road I take, it's about 4 miles long and it's almost completely straight, and only very slight slopes, 2-3 degree slopes max (almost hardly noticeable). I can do 100mph down this road, keeping overdrive EVERY TIME. This is when the car is semi-cool... from 140-160 degrees on the gauge starting out.

There's another road I can take, it's about 3 miles long, and it's got a huge downhill part that's almost 3/4mi long. If I get above 65+mph going down this road (specifically at the top, heading down the hill) I'll lose OD.

Now, here's one final part to my answer. I live 3/4 mile from an interstate and I use it almost every day I need to go somewhere. I start my Monte, let it warm up until the temperature gauge begins to move (I assume 140 is fine to start driving highway). I'll leave my house, hop on the highway, get up to about 70, I'll have overdrive for maybe 2-3 minutes, but as soon as I let off of the gas a little to where I'm not REALLY accelerating but just trying to maintain speed, I'll lose overdrive. I won't get it back for almost the whole trip which is normally almost 10 miles exactly from on-ramp to off-ramp.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Will a transmission from a 2000 Buick Regal 3.8L be interchangeable with my Monte? I'm asking because I know that there's differences in gear ratios and a bunch of other things.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 AM

4T65E Vehicle App List

That's a link of everything with a 4T65E. As your most recent question points out though, it doesn't address possibly more intricate details of the tranny.

Hopefully there are a lot smarter people on this website that can answer that.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 AM

Yeah, someone said earlier in this thread to NOT go newer than 03 because something was changed, but yet the TEP page you linked me to says that the 4T65E tranny interchanges from a 98-07 monte.

Before I really learned what I know now about my Monte, I was told that the only tranny that can go into a 00 Monte is a tranny that comes OUT of an 00 Monte. idk how true that rings, but thats what I was told.

( I was told this by a highly craptastic person by the name of Vern who proceeded to keep my car for 6 months because he "couldn't find a tranny for it" ... 2 years ago).

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM

06-07 got the hd trans. not too many differences from the non hd version. idk what the gear differences are between the na, and sc cars are. im going to assume that the na cars may have had the more aggressive gearing than the sc cars. i think the v8 cars have 2.83s or something in that ballpark. im assuming that the na cars came with 3.27s, and the sc/v8 cars had the 2.83s. i could have that backwards, or even completely wrong im sure chibi will chime in about this.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM

15 Year Member

The NA cars have 3.23 and the SC has 2.93

I'm the one that said not to go past 2002, but I can't find the reasoning right now. I can't remember it, but I do remember reading it on NAIOA.com from BBEngineer and I dont' mess with his information haha

Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM

does it have something to do with the axle length? isnt there something with the 5th gens, and that? all speculation cause im not well versed in fwd stuff.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM

15 Year Member

I just can't find the information right now. I wish I could.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 Monte Carlo SS - In Need of Transmission. Interchange Guidance?