Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Coil Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Default Coil Springs

I have a 1986 Monte Carlo LS, 4.3 V6, 3 speed auto, A/C, with very old, tiredcoil springs. I am going to install a 350 V8, 2004R auto trans, and keep the A/C. Ihave installed new Moog coil springs all around. The front are too stiff and the car looks like there is no engine in it (Yeah, that bad). The rear are variable rate and added some extra support the car needed. I cannot find any technical info about these springs. I even tried the Moog.com web site. Everyone who sells these springs has me identify the car by make, model, engine, trans, A/C. etc. It keeps coming up Moog Part # 5608 as the recommended replacement spring for a V8setup. I guess this would be great if I were putting in a big block or weighed about 400 lbs. Any one know a good part # for a small block V8? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Default RE: Coil Springs

not sure of a part number

Call Moog them selves and explain the sistuation and ask them how you can identify the springs that are in the car . make sure they were not marked wrong or some one didnt pull the wrong spring on you and you didnt catch it till now. I have had some of thier parts that didnt fit at all due to this. it is not very offten but once in a while it happens.

Other wise ask them if they have a spring that will fit in the buick Regal of the same year or even the ones for the Grand Nat. would be the same style .
see if they have a softer spring rate. Im sure the grant nat. would have due to them being a V-6 car. so i know they would be softer for you. witch would allow them to sink further . only thing i would worry about with them is it might ground out when you hit a hard bump due to them being to soft.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

just get the one without a/c if your not happy with the height...we go through this every now and then @ work...some people want the height..some people dont like it

part # 5600 might work for you...its kind of just a trial and error game to get the right springs for it...just cleanemup and take the wrong ones back...the supplier can return them if you get the others, and even if he says he can't tell him to return em defective...no questions asked on moog

Old 01-25-2007, 11:03 AM

moog = good parts and service from everythign i have seen or delt with them.

and if that dont work just send them to Whiz LOL

Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM

if your car still has the v6 in it and your spring are for the v8 thats your prob right there when you do the motor swap it should be fine or you can always get springs for a v6 if you want a softer ride i bought new spring for my monte and then when i did my motor up i put aluminum heads,intake,water pump,and fiberglass hood and it did the same its as if it was lonching when it was standing still so i got some v6 springs for it

Old 01-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i didn't even see that it said he hasn't put the v8 in yet...yah thats why its riding too high right now...just wait till you put the v8 in it and it will go back down again

Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks everyone. I hope it does drop when I do the changeover. It really stands up there right now but it handles a lot better than those old V6 springs. We will wait and see.