Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Wheel Play (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/wheel-play-56707/)

owens91 07-21-2016 06:32 PM

Wheel Play

ok so my front passenger side wheel has some play in it, even the tire guy said i might want to get it check out, but if i try to move the tire at the 12 and 6 position nothing it has some play when i do 9 and 3 position.
also when i brake i sometimes hear some clunking coming from that area, i want to say control arms but i saw no visual evidence that it was that case but i may be wrong. so what might this be?

Mac7504 07-21-2016 06:46 PM

Isn't 9-3 more indicative of a tie rod issue?

bumpin96monte 07-23-2016 08:12 AM

Agreed, id start with looking at the tie rod ends.

owens91 07-23-2016 04:27 PM

i took the tire off today and the only thing that moved when i checked again was the whole rotor nothing else had moved and on the driver side nothing moved at the 9-3 position and had little movement on the 12-6 position, i changed the wheel hub before and the tie rod end on the passenger side before so im not sure what this can be. i know at high speeds when i brake the steering wheel and the car has some wobble which makes me think i need rotors for sure

drivernumber3 07-24-2016 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by owens91 (Post 693278)
i took the tire off today and the only thing that moved when i checked again was the whole rotor nothing else had moved and on the driver side nothing moved at the 9-3 position and had little movement on the 12-6 position, i changed the wheel hub before and the tie rod end on the passenger side before so im not sure what this can be. i know at high speeds when i brake the steering wheel and the car has some wobble which makes me think i need rotors for sure

if you brake at speed and the steering wheel and the car has some wobble the rotors are warped and need to be turned or replaced, make sure you tighten the lugs with a torque wrench set to the proper ft. lbs. to keep that from occurring again.

bumpin96monte 07-29-2016 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by owens91 (Post 693278)

If your tire (bolted to the hub) wobbles from side to side when pulling on it by hand that is something other than a rotor issue. The rotor is technically bolted between the wheel and hub, but the rotors being warped wouldnt cause the tire to have excess play from 9-3.

I would look at control arm bushings and tie rods. If you're having a hard time moving it back and forth with the rotor hanging loosely, then put a nut or two on to bolt the rotor down tightly, like it would be with the wheel installed and try your test again.

Certainly with your brake pulsing issues, you have warped rotors, but that is a different problem than the play you saw from 9-3.

nitehawkjcb 07-29-2016 11:29 PM

In addition to what has already been named, don't rule out a bad wheel bearing - again.

owens91 08-01-2016 07:14 AM

Well I just ordered some drilled and slotted rotors and pads I'm going this can fix at least one of my issues, nitehawk, wouldn't bad bearing mean play at 12-6?

nitehawkjcb 08-01-2016 10:34 PM

Could be either. Could also be a bad ball joint, or tie rod. You did say it had a little movement at 12-6 but more at 3-9, if I read that correctly.

owens91 08-02-2016 05:56 AM

I may have put it wrong on the driver side there is little play at 12-6 but nothing at 3-9On the passenger side there is some play as in the video on the 3-9 but nothing at 12-6