Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Suspension Build: New Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default New Suspension

I've got a 2000 Monte Carlo 3800, and I'm looking to redo the suspension system. The current one is likely the original system, which looks like it's covered in cracked rubber. And when I had the car jacked up, it looked like the springs had clearance issues. Although I don't feel any issues while driving. What's a good coilover to go with that's slightly adjustable, and good for a daily?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:26 AM

There aren't a ton of options for coilovers. It seems like most places have switched to selling the BC Racing ones except Intense Racing.

Hopefully you're not looking to adjust anything other than height. The existing kits don't come with camber plates or anything like that.

Personally, I just built a DIY set for my Monte. Partly because the 5th gen has some odd stuff that doesn't necessarily work with the off-the shelf kits and partly because of cost. The kits above are about $1k for a set of 4, but can be higher depending what strut you go with.

I cant imagine I've even got half that into my DIY set.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
There aren't a ton of options for coilovers. It seems like most places have switched to selling the BC Racing ones except Intense Racing.

Hopefully you're not looking to adjust anything other than height. The existing kits don't come with camber plates or anything like that.

Personally, I just built a DIY set for my Monte. Partly because the 5th gen has some odd stuff that doesn't necessarily work with the off-the shelf kits and partly because of cost. The kits above are about $1k for a set of 4, but can be higher depending what strut you go with.

I cant imagine I've even got half that into my DIY set.
Could you explain what you got so I have an idea of what to shop around for?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 PM

If you search around on the bigger GP sites (clubgp, grandprixforums) for DIY coilovers, some of them have a nice parts list and how to's and such. It would take too long to write it all out here.

I did make a mini build thread, but it wasn't intended to be a how to style write up. Not to mention, the 6th gen is much easier since the strut is a separate piece. Gives you am idea of the process.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/front-coilovers-5th-gen-54562/

Short story is that you need springs, perches, and threaded collars. You cut off the stock spring lower mount, slide on the collar and screw on the lower perch. Up top there are options depending what you want to do. For the fronts, you'll need some sort of needle bearing insert to allow the spring to turn.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-08-2018 at 01:16 PM.