Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Stupid Spare Tire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stupid Spare Tire Problem

When last I put my spare back, the plastic thing that's supposed to hold everything in place just spun the bolt in place and woudln't go down. Now, it looks like it's stripped.

I tried holding the bolt in place with channel locks and spinning the plastic thing, but it wouldn't move. Any ideas as to how to get this thing off? (Destruction is fine--I can always get another from the u-pick.)

Old 10-30-2017, 05:58 PM
Default Spare..

Start off with a six pack.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by 96z34man
When last I put my spare back, the plastic thing that's supposed to hold everything in place just spun the bolt in place and woudln't go down. Now, it looks like it's stripped.

I tried holding the bolt in place with channel locks and spinning the plastic thing, but it wouldn't move. Any ideas as to how to get this thing off? (Destruction is fine--I can always get another from the u-pick.)

Most likely Cross threaded which happens easily.
You may just need to brake the thing to get it off and out and then retrieve a different one at the salvage yard.
Grab a couple just in case it happens again.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member

Pulled the part off and threw it away. Got a replacement from the u-pull, along with the wingnut that was missing from my car and caused the whole problem to begin with. I reassembled everything according to the sticker, and now it won't go back together right because the tire is sitting too high in the well. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can you snap a few pics of how you have it together? Might just have something in the order wrong.