Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Tire Pressure Sensor (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/tire-pressure-sensor-52713/)

bowtiebandit23 04-07-2015 03:34 PM

Tire Pressure Sensor

what PSI do your tires have to drain to before the Tire Pressure Sensor throws a message? for ex, i have standard 225/60/r16 with max load 44 PSI, i usually keep them around 35-37psi.

ChibiBlackSheep 04-07-2015 03:44 PM

The sensors work from the wheel hub assembly sensor. It detects when one tire is rotating at a different speed than the others, so it typically is when one tire is 5 pounds lower than the other 3.

Your max load of 44PSI is not a fill-to recommendation. I would lower the PSI to what the car requests on the door jam, which is around 32. (unless you are wearing out the sides faster than the middle from under-inflation) :thumbsup:

bowtiebandit23 04-07-2015 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 655299)
The sensors work from the wheel hub assembly sensor. It detects when one tire is rotating at a different speed than the others, so it typically is when one tire is 5 pounds lower than the other 3.

Your max load of 44PSI is not a fill-to recommendation. I would lower the PSI to what the car requests on the door jam, which is around 32. (unless you are wearing out the sides faster than the middle from under-inflation) :thumbsup:

lol duh i know that! dont need one of them to explode lol.Will have to lower them slightly. i was a little late on the last round of tire rotation due to the long winter so the rears are slightly worn more on the side than the middle from the winter driving so they are slightly uneven. But i did that 2 weeks ago and it just popped up today. They all looked in range at an eyes glance but will have to double check again what each exact psi is after the rain stops here.

bowtiebandit23 04-08-2015 12:16 PM

So yesterday my low tire pressure message came up. And on my way to work this am my service traction light came on to and shut my traction off. Any ideas? Okay to drive?

ChibiBlackSheep 04-08-2015 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by bowtiebandit23 (Post 655462)
So yesterday my low tire pressure message came up. And on my way to work this am my service traction light came on to and shut my traction off. Any ideas? Okay to drive?

Okay to drive (make sure your tire pressures are good), probably have a wheel hub starting to go out, or the wiring to one is bad

bowtiebandit23 04-08-2015 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 655481)
Okay to drive (make sure your tire pressures are good), probably have a wheel hub starting to go out, or the wiring to one is bad

I replaced both front bearings within the last two years. 30k miles accumulated. I know for a fact I did indeed crack two of the sensor housings when I was installing my suspension 2 weeks ago. Maybe some water got kicked in and tripped/broke it? I'v heard a lot of our cars and just gm in general have the same problems with tire monitoring systems.

ohara 04-09-2015 12:40 AM

Your abs wheel speed sensor could also be a broken wire, I had to replace my wires a couple years ago as the wires weren't worth soldering and fixing as it was just going to be a matter of time. You can buy replacements on e bay for around $20, they get brittle with age and break up along the frame where they are routed so you unfortunately have to trace the wires back to find the break. The water will also set the sensors off if it gets in.