Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Suspension misalignment after strut change (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/suspension-misalignment-after-strut-change-55181/)

rack 01-11-2016 08:51 AM

Suspension misalignment after strut change

Hello guys,

Today I went to alignment shop to set my 04 Monte after suspension work.
I replaced all 4 corners with monroe quick struts and everything at rear end, arms etc...
Rear end aligned without any problem.
Front passenger side is OK.
The problem is with driver side front camber. When stock bolts (the one with splines), are tighten, they drive camber out of alignment.
The guy at the shop said either I should use camber correction kit or steering knuckle is bend.

Before replacing the struts, there was not such a problem.

Is it common issue with new struts?

Is camber kit the right solution?

Is there a way to check steering knuckle for bends?

I know aftermarket parts are not always perfect fit, but it is strange to get problem only on one wheel.

Thanks for the help,
Ivo

plumbob 01-11-2016 10:10 AM

That is strange.
Replaced all 4 on my '00 SS with Monroe "Quick Struts" and had no problems.
Could there have been an issue before the suspension work?
Could things have gotten "Boggered up" driving that splined bolt out? I know they come out hard. I used an air chisle to get mine out so there was so much "trauma" as what might have been the case had I used a hammer and punch.

rack 01-12-2016 12:29 PM

Hi again Plumbob :)
I checked alignment data of previous visit. It is from the same shop about one year ago.
Now I have -1 degree and 17'.
Previous value was - 0 degree and 17'
I also checked the old strut. I clearly see the holes are enlarged and bolts were of the center.
This make me to think steering knuckle could be bent :confused::confused::confused:
May be the car had been in some accident before.

The_Maniac 01-12-2016 05:27 PM

The bolt holes on the struts that connect them to the steering knuckle should be enlarged, that is normal. It's done that way to allow adjusting the camber of the car if I recall.
The steering knuckle is made of aluminum on these cars. Unless intense heat was used (and it would have to be REALLY intense), I would think it would show signs of fatigue or cracking before bending.

I re-read your original post. I never heard of a "camber correction kit" (but I'm not a suspension guru). But I'm curious why tightening those bolts are driving the camber out. My guess is that as they tighten the nut to lock in the adjustment, the spinning of the nut moves the strut adjustment (as it's probably not resting on one end or the other of the oblong-ed holes in the strut itself). If that is the case, then they should be able to hold that strut and compensate for the issue. But it's a theory.

plumbob 01-12-2016 09:04 PM

I'm no suspension expert either so I decided to educate myself a little on this issue and here's what I learned:
As it turns out, GM made no provision for camber adjustment, only caster and toe. I guess they decided that so long as all suspension components are straight, camber should not be an issue. So if you truly have a camber issue, you may have worn ball joints and/or bushings and or a bent control arm or a bent steering knuckle.
This is where the "Camber Adjustment Kit" comes in. Basically the kit is nothing more than a smaller grade 8 bolt, an oblong bushing, and a nut that replaces the lower strut bolt. The size and shape then allows for adjustment by up to 2.5 degrees. Here's an ACDelco that RockAuto sells. They have a large variety ranging in price from $4 to $20. I would paste an image, but since changing to Windows 10 I can't.

ACDELCO 45K18050 {#89056267} Professional Info
Front; From Minus 1-3/4 to Plus 1-3/4 Degrees of Change
Rear; From Minus 1-3/4 to Plus 1-3/4 Degrees of Change
Front; with 14 mm Bolts; Double Offset; Replacing All Bolts Will Increase Camber Adjustment Range To Plus Or Minus 2.5 Degrees; From Minus 1-3/4 to Plus 1-3/4 Degrees of Change.

rack 01-13-2016 01:12 AM

Thanks guys,

Now it is clear :)

I already ordered 4 bolts from rockauto, and will have them here next week.

I was worried about because we do not have experience with US cars here and I often listen to fairy-tales...

Actually there are two Montes is the country... one 78' and one 04'.

And guess what, both are mine :D

plumbob 01-13-2016 01:50 PM

Well thanks for representing our Montes in Bulgaria Ivo:thumbsup:

The_Maniac 01-13-2016 05:23 PM

Hope it pans out and your issue is resolved. I did not realize you were not in the U.S.!! Outstanding on being an owner of TWO rare cars in your location!!

plumbob 01-13-2016 08:10 PM

Hey Ivo. Sorry to go "Off topic" here, but this month's :Themed Photo Contest" is "Monte Friends"... depicting Monte "group" pictures. I think it would be awesome to see photos of both of your Monte's with a Bulgarian background! :)

Here's a link to the thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...friends-55184/

Enzo354 01-13-2016 09:36 PM

I worked for sears and did probably 70 allignments on these cars so hear me out. You can grind out the one of the holes on the strut a bit and normally get it to go in, also, the bolts that go in at the top of the strut tower, you can do a bit of grinding on those and move the top in or out, but don't go more than about 3mm in each direction.