Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Tire wearing fast and improperly

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Default Tire wearing fast and improperly

I bought a brand new set of tires for my 07 MCSS in Feb. I checked the rear driver side the other day and the tire is bald. Something has to be wrong given its a FWD. Could someone help me out here

Old 10-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Need more details to be of any real help.

Can you be more specific as to how it's wearing? Did it wear evenly, just very quickly, or is only a portion of the tread bald?

Second, how is the alignment compared to factory spec? Incorrect alignment can cause all kinds of rapid wear issues depending on what is out of whack.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:49 AM

They wore evenly, but just entirely too fast. Haven't even had the brand new tires a year and they are completely bald. The front tires aren't bald just the rear tires. I got an alignment when I got the tires put on

Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 AM

LOL Letting your kids drive it by chance?

What kind are they?? Not really enough info to help much..

Could something possibly be pulling on your emergency brake??

If you lift up the rear of the car, can you spin the wheels easily by hand??

Old 10-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Agreed, it's tough to diagnose something like this online.

So both rear tires wore evenly and about the same, but the fronts still have way more tread?

Things that come to mind:
-Is it possible someone rotated your tires without you knowing? Maybe at an oil change or maybe someone who may have been beating on the car (kids, etc)?
-As mentioned above, it's worthwhile to check out the rear mechanically to make sure everything is sound and spinning free. It would be a simple check.
-Lastly, I would take it back to check the alignment. Maybe the previous place set the rear wrong? Were they able to get it into spec when they did it? Maybe something got knocked out of whack soon after the alignment?

If everything checks out good mechanically, you know for sure the tires weren't rotated, and you know the alignment is in spec - then I'd look into a warranty claim with the tire manufacturer. Many have some sort of mileage warranty and I'm sure you're nowhere near any limits in under a year.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:46 AM

also, make sure your replacement tires are the correct load rating. I had the incorrect rating and the centers wore incredibly fast

Old 10-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

You should have the alignment checked again you need to do an all wheel alignment, sometimes a shop will do just the fronts, they may have also left out something when they aligned it.

When you have this stuff done turn off your RADIO and listen for noises in your tires.
They may also be out of balance.

But the alignment is the problem.
Anymore you need to stand over people and watch them as they do this stuff.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by SiahSS
They wore evenly, but just entirely too fast. Haven't even had the brand new tires a year and they are completely bald. The front tires aren't bald just the rear tires. I got an alignment when I got the tires put on
Something else that it could be depending on the tires you bought some are designed to be mount with the tread pattern gong a certain way, also what is the tread wear rating on the tire #350 to 400 is a 70K plus tire.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Found this article about 07 / 08 Impalas, bet the 07 Monte would be in this equation.

Case # [xxx] our rear tires are wearing out twice as fast as the front tires. I went to costco yesterday to have my tires rotated, after looking at the rear tires we had to buy new ones because the back tires were worn down to the metal backing.. there had been a service bulletin sent out in 2011 to replace the spindle rods on all the 2007 and 2008 Impala's that were sold as police cars to fix this problem that they were having with rear tire wear. I would like to see that service bulletin extended all the other 2007 and 2008 Chevrolet Impala's. this is a major safety problem and people are going to be killed if this problem is not fixed you just don't expect the tires to wear out so fast. We had just finished a trip were we drove freeway speeds up to 75 miles an hour. After seeing our tires I don't know how we keep from having a blow out on the back tires. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).
- Lake Tapps, WA, USA

Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 PM

Wow, had to Google that one. Never heard of a spindle rod before. Looks like they're talking about the lateral arms (the bars that connect the body to the bottom of the knuckle to limit left/right motion).

I wonder what the defect was that would cause the tires to wear so fast? That seems like an insanely simple piece, it's just a bar with a bushing on either end. I could see it being too long or too short (or getting bent), but you'd figure you'd pick that up on an alignment. I guess the bushings could go bad too, but again you'd figure that would be spotted immediately prior to doing an alignment.