Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Strut dilema, need help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/strut-dilema-need-help-52487/)

Montelicious 03-21-2015 06:29 PM

Strut dilema, need help

Strut question. I want to get KYB AGX struts for my 04 Supercharged Monte but I have aftermarket 18" wheels and the supercharged models sport suspension. I found part 734058 and 734059 but it says they can't be used with the sport suspension or 17"-18" wheels. I also have lowering springs. So which part ‪#‎s‬ do I get???? Who has used KYB AGX for their 6th gen and why exactly can't theses be used?

ZIPPY02 03-21-2015 09:00 PM

Well guess I never read the fine print on the KYB AGX package then. I have run them for almost 6 years now, just put my second set on about this time last year. I have the 2002 Monte Carlo SS "Limited Edition" so guess I have the sports suspension or had. I essentially replaced most with the SLP / BMR parts, so perhaps I have the Super Sport Suspension package. Have the Eibach lowering springs on too the whole time.

I really don't know what problem you would have, perhaps it's a technicality and they are just covering their backside. My other ones were still good, no leaks and such, a member here was selling their Monte and had New in Box KYB AGX's for sale at a great price. I say go for it based on my experiences.

Montelicious 03-21-2015 09:19 PM

The 04 Supercharged Monte models came with a special sport suspension, not too sure about the 02's. What size wheels do you have?

Montelicious 03-22-2015 08:48 AM

bump..

mcweet 03-23-2015 11:08 PM

ah the fe3 and fe4 thing im curious about. im really interested in this because i want to go to 17 or maybe 18 inch wheels and lowering, but i dont want to be all stiffened up like to vw's and hondas around here.

ZIPPY02 03-24-2015 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Montelicious (Post 652175)
The 04 Supercharged Monte models came with a special sport suspension, not too sure about the 02's. What size wheels do you have?

Oh yes wheel size, well I'm rolling with the OEM 16" wheels. But I don't see the problem with 17's or 18's. They strut shaft will still have the same travel distance would it not?

Montelicious 03-24-2015 12:38 PM

Well I ended up getting them anyway. :)

mcweet 03-24-2015 09:40 PM

im thinking they maybe put stiffer sway bars and struts on. the mystery about 17 and 18 inch wheels stumps me. the only thing registering in my head is the sidewall bulge on 17 or 18 inch wheel mounted tires would be further away from the spindle placing the sidewall close to the spring cups and possibly larger diameter springs...

i have the stock 16 inch wheels and 225 / 60s and the sidewall is reaaly close as it is... like 1/2 inch or so.

i wonder if anyone has had the chance to study the fe4 - supercharged equipped car and compare it to the fe3 plain ss.

ZIPPY02 03-25-2015 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mcweet (Post 652794)
im thinking they maybe put stiffer sway bars and struts on. the mystery about 17 and 18 inch wheels stumps me. the only thing registering in my head is the sidewall bulge on 17 or 18 inch wheel mounted tires would be further away from the spindle placing the sidewall close to the spring cups and possibly larger diameter springs...

i have the stock 16 inch wheels and 225 / 60s and the sidewall is reaaly close as it is... like 1/2 inch or so.

i wonder if anyone has had the chance to study the fe4 - supercharged equipped car and compare it to the fe3 plain ss.

My tires rubbed my control arms, so we added a couple 1/8" thick spacers (washers) on the inside and it moved the control arms inboard away from the rear tires. But I have never had a problem with the KYB struts being rubbed and I'm using the BMR / SLP larger aftermarket products and lowered.

I would bet you will have no problem... :cool:

mcweet 03-25-2015 04:21 PM

so you moved the control arms away from the wheel.. excellent idea!!!

so using stock struts and bushings being a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 - ten being the same as welding the axles in place with no give at all and 1 being a 1974 lincoln continental, where would you put stiffness the way you have your car set up?

im looking for maybe 8 but i also dont want to shake the car apart ....