Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   Stability Control (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/stability-control-59009/)

96z34man 10-20-2017 04:23 PM

Stability Control

While looking for an RPO code for something else, I discovered that the 08+ Impalas had stability control added. Does anyone know if these will port over to the Monte, if I get one from a junkyard or something? I know this seems like overkill, but I live in a county where it has barely stopped raining since August. My ex-wife wrecked an Avalanche without traction control by driving in a rainstorm--in January. There is no such thing as too much accident prevention as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's something that still lets me drive the way I want.

bumpin96monte 10-24-2017 10:09 PM

If you were determined enough, it does certainly seem feasible by swapping the bcm, sensors, etc. Since there probably aren't any aftermarket programming tools out there, you're lucky that the Impala is generally similar in weight and setup to the Monte that it would be close enough to use.

Ill admit that I've got the same thought you had, it seems like a really overkill solution for a fairly simple issue. I'd either buy a car that already has it, or buy some better tires to raise the limits before the car starts sliding.

The downside is its a lot of work for something you'll almost never use. In the nearly 10 years I had my GP, it only activated twice (once in the snow, once in the dry purposely pushing the car past the limits).

bumpin96monte 10-25-2017 04:22 PM

Thinking about it more, another major thing to be concerned with in doing this is the liability aspect if it malfunctions.

Thinking worst case, if this thing malfunctioned (shorted wire, sensor mismounted or falls off, speed sensors wired to wrong wheels, etc) and either caused a wreck itself or caused an existing situation to get worse (say by being wired wrong and grabbing the wrong side brakes), you're going to personally be 100% liable. If something goes wrong on a factory system and kills someone, GM's lawyers are just going to cut a couple million dollar settlement check and move on. If you retrofit a system and something goes haywire and it kills someone, they're going to be coming after you for everything you've got. I'd imagine your insurance has clauses in there to release their liability if your modifications to the car create an accident situation, so you'd likely be left all on your own.

GM wouldn't be as worried as they can burn up multiple cars running hundreds of tests-dry, moist, wet, standing water, snow, ice, mild steering angle, severe steering angle, light throttle, light brake, low speed, high speed, inclines, etc. You're not going to want to tear up you own car testing all of the potential combinations to make sure it's always going to act as expected. As I mentioned before, luckily the two cars are very similar so that makes it more likely to work well without needing computer adjustments, but you'll never really know for 100% of the possible scenarios.

​​​​