Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   painting wheels? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/painting-wheels-2690/)

Yellow_Monte 11-15-2006 09:16 PM

painting wheels?

So I have always thought this would look cool, and I tried it in photoshop and I really like it. Is there any way to actually paint the rims I have now? I saw this motorcycle show once where they heated some paint on an alloy wheel to make it stick? Also anyone know how much it would cost? I know it would be cheaper than getting new rims.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6...kwheelswj0.jpg

Bigg J 11-15-2006 11:02 PM

RE: painting wheels?

Are you planning to do it yourself?

If so, some things to consider are the prep work (wheels are polished and clearcoated and will need to be prepped), and what primer and paint you will use. As with any paint job, a heated surface allows for better adhesion, so how will you keep the wheels hot through painting and setting?

Unless you have a nice set up at home where you can do this, I'd just have a professional do it.

J_Bru_Ha_SS 11-16-2006 12:16 AM

I had painted a set of wheels for my Camaro. Yes these wheels are clearcoated, that will have to be removed either by sanding it off (a real pain) or using paint striper, any parts store will have it, its not all that expensive. But after the clear is off you have to sand the surface you want painted, I used duplic-color for paint and they recomend sanding the surface smooth with 600 grit paper, then prime and then paint. To get a good paint job you will have to remove all of the tool grooves on the wheels, a power sander works the fastest, unless your wheels are already chromed ( but why would u paint chrome?). I did not paint the whole wheel I actually polished most of the wheel and painted some groves and inserts. So far the paint has stuck well it has been on there now for two years. One word of advice if you mask off any part of the wheel with tape make sure you get a good strong adhesive tape, the tape i used was not as good as it should have been and as a result my lines are not so clean.

mickey 11-16-2006 11:47 AM

go to duplicolor .com

they have some wheel paint out now and it is also out in the black etc.. watch the vid on the web it turns out nice and the stuff is not that bad of a price

wiz kidd 11-16-2006 12:23 PM

what about powder coating?? its a little bit stronger than painting...lasts longer, but they can be painted too, lots of companies are getting into doing that now

Bigg J 11-16-2006 08:24 PM

Yeah, cuz they're making different colour coatings now. I have seen an array of colours for powder coating like they have for truck bed liner.

The only problem with that is cost. If you are trying to mod your wheels for less than a new set of wheels, then maybe you should stick to the paint.

mickey 11-17-2006 10:09 AM

you can do the powder coating also . but it is not cheap. have them use a clear black or a clear smoke.

or if you want to save some cash got to eastwoodtools.com and buy a hot coat system and do them yourself.

plans are when we get back i will need a oven in the gradge for this . i have a bunch of parts waiting for this treatment lol

Yellow_Monte 11-18-2006 05:02 PM

Thanks for all the good ideas. I checked out duplicolor's website and theres some good stuff there. One bad thing I was thinking though, whenever I get the wheels re-balanced, the weights would leave a really ugly looking mark on the rims. Since there silver now, you don't really notice the mark they leave that much. But if they were black it would stand out really bad. I'll prob leave them stock cuz of that.

J_Bru_Ha_SS 11-20-2006 03:19 PM

You can always get the weights mounted on the inner part of the rim...the same way they balance any chrome wheel. they just stick the weights on the inner part of the wheel. How many chrome rims have you seen with weights on them?

Bigg J 11-26-2006 04:58 PM

I was gonna say the same thing. That is correct. No worries, there, man.