Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   How to clean tires without harming alloys? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/how-clean-tires-without-harming-alloys-39277/)

Motorhead 10-07-2012 08:46 AM

How to clean tires without harming alloys?

Greetings all.

What's the best way to safely clean my '07 Monte's sidewalls without causing damage to my factory alloys? My tires (factory-spec Goodyear Eagle LS2's) have started turning a bit brown on the sidewalls. The presence of the alloys means I can't just spray Simple Green or Purple Power on the tire sidewalls, scrub them, and then hose it all off like I could with standard steel wheels and wheel covers.

Simply scrubbing the sidewalls with a bristle-brush and car wash soap doesn't seem to do enough to remove the browning. Anything safe that I can spray on those sidewalls that will deep clean them and not harm the alloys?

Thanks.
-M

Tadcaster 10-07-2012 09:00 AM

I use simple green safe and cleans good

STUMPMI 10-07-2012 09:24 AM

Heres a Tip i learned from someone a long time ago that truely works well..

Tide Laundry detergent and house hold bleach!.(about 1/4 cup) to pale of water!

Now i have scrubbed many a floor in my day ...and it works awesome to remove any black marks, stains etc!....Yet its gentle enough to not harm and surfaces it comes in contact with...Also, as well all know Tide gets everything cleaner...

So I had no worries as far as harming any kind of wheels...
Anyone remember useing "Naval Jelly" for your alloy rims?

Im curious .... I use to use "Wesleys" bleach white on all my white letter tires...
Do they still make it? anyone else ever use it?

Tadcaster 10-07-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 499952)
Heres a Tip i learned from someone a long time ago that truely works well..

Tide Laundry detergent and house hold bleach!.(about 1/4 cup) to pale of water!

Now i have scrubbed many a floor in my day ...and it works awesome to remove any black marks, stains etc!....Yet its gentle enough to not harm and surfaces it comes in contact with...Also, as well all know Tide gets everything cleaner...

So I had no worries as far as harming any kind of wheels...
Anyone remember useing "Naval Jelly" for your alloy rims?

Im curious .... I use to use "Wesleys" bleach white on all my white letter tires...
Do they still make it? anyone else ever use it?

Man I haven't seen Wesleys in ages; I also remember naval jelly but never used it on any rims

gothkid 10-09-2012 10:51 AM

Ok i prefer the simply green also, but heres what Mike Phillips sayes.

1. wash one wheel at a time
2. Spray wheels and tires first with a strong blast of water to remove any loose brake dust, dirt and road grim
3. Spray wheel cleaner onto wheel. Follow recommend dwell time.
4. Agitat with a wheel brush appropriate for type of wheel.
5. Spary wheel with a strong blast of water.
6. Spray TIRE with a cleaner. Follow recommend dwell time.
7. Agitate with with tire brush.
8. Spray entire wheel with a strong blast of water.
9.Repeat to rest of tires

Wheel Safety
Use a wheel cleaner thats safe for your type of wheel

Mike Phillips is a Professional Auto Detailing Instructor.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-09-2012 11:02 AM

Another tip is to use a better dressing for the tires. They are browning because of the tire-dressing you are using