Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   Dog bone bushing size ?? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/dog-bone-bushing-size-56532/)

Scott_S 06-23-2016 01:38 PM

Dog bone bushing size ??

Does anyone know the dimensions of the dogbone bushings ? I measured the width of the mount but can't measure the inside diameter right now for obvious reasons :confused:

I found a couple of manufactures that make universal flange bushings from poly, which are available on amz or fleabay. The price that wbs and zzp are charging to ship less than a pound, crazy... maybe prime has me spoiled

The_Maniac 07-02-2016 09:34 AM

I don't know the dimensions, but if you find something, please share! I'm sure someone like Energy Suspension has something that would work.

I'm disappointed the red dog bone and clam shell bushings I got from WBS started as an awesome and bright red, after a a couple months, faded to pink :(
If I knew of a better brand poly bushing, I might consider swapping the dog bone bushings again.

Scott_S 07-07-2016 03:02 PM

I recently went to the bone yard to grab a few dog bones (previous mech put chinese ones on the impala (without asking :soapbox:) , and the bushing is worse than before after less than 20k miles) I grabbed an extra one to dissect for measurements.

I'll take some measurements. Together we should be able to find something that works well.

Scott_S 07-07-2016 05:10 PM

I can't seem to find (m)any bushings that would fit out of the box. polybushings has one that would fit after some trimming.

Here;s the measurements that I got, may not be perfect.

max width (the interior width of the brackets on the engine that accept the round portion of the mounts) 55.3mm approx 2.177in
interior diamether-29mm approx 1.1417in
length (measurement parallel to mounting bolt) 40mm approx 1.575in

I can't find anything on energy suspension that would fill the whole interior of the mount.
Do the wbs or zzp bushing fill the length of the mount ?

Edit:
I found an energy suspension bushing that would only have a 2mm space that wouldn't be filled inside the mount. Not too bad.
washers could be used to fill the engine's bracket to the maximum. However, it'd need a bushing to adapt our 10mm dia bolt to fit the 15mm hole.
energy suspension pn is 9.9111

those companies (zzp and wbs) have to have found a source for the bushings somewhere. some control arm bushing is probably exactly the same as our dog bone...
I know for a fact that their "solid" transmission mount is the same as an option for the 2001ish 3.4, much cheaper when sourced elsewhere. They did something similar with these bushings.

The_Maniac 07-07-2016 09:57 PM

To my knowledge, the WBS bushings I have fill the space.

That sucks that the bushings you found call for a 15mm bolt. I'd say drill out the brackets on the engine side, but I'm not sure that is worth the trouble.

I agree with you, odds are those vendors found a bushing for something other then the dog bone that happens to fit just right. Would be nice to know what it was....

Scott_S 07-08-2016 11:40 AM

I did some exploring. I took a moog sway bar bushing k5342 for our cars will fit in the hole and the hole size is correct, but there's no metal bushing in the interior. Also, there's no flange.
I'd assume they found some flanged sway bar bushings, or possibly control arm bushings.

I'll do more snooping, but sadly the people in the online chat at energy suspension don't know much and I don't wanna spend all day on the phone.

Scott_S 07-09-2016 12:35 AM

I got to thinking, what other GM's had torque strut mounts similar to the W-body. A quick ebay search turned up the fiero. Not sure if these would fit 100%. May have to call them to find the exact dimensions to be sure. The fiero dog bones look alot like ones from an early 90s grand prix, which I've read fit our cars fine.

prothane p/n: 7501

I'll do more snooping and report back. These just so happen to be available at autozone as well.

Look at the ebay postings.

zzp wbody
LS4 5 3L Polyurethane Dog Bone Motor Torque Strut Mount Bushing Grand Prix GXP | eBay

prothane fiero
Prothane 84 88 Pontiac Fiero 4CYL 85 86 V6 Engine Torque Strut Bushing Red Kit | eBay

Now just to find where they sourced the square radiator bushings... I saw on autozone that the fiero had a square bushing in the trans mount, I wonder...

turbo monte 07-09-2016 12:41 AM

Cool read and curious to hear what you figure out for sure. I am using intense poly bushings black in color with no issues. Love them!

claydoh 07-09-2016 04:20 AM

I got the zzp red dog bone bushings off the interweb for my '03 monte pace car. they were pretty easy to install, still have red color after over a year and made a big difference, I still need to change my front dog bone bushings, I tried to flip them like I saw in a you tube video but didn't have much luck??

The_Maniac 07-10-2016 08:23 PM

Another thought I had way back when and did not explore heavily was switching my rad/dog bone mounts to the style used on 90's GMs. I believe they would fit, but I never did any further research.

Here is a link about flipping the mount (I have not done it, but others have done so successfully):
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...rotation-5386/