Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): Complete Suspension Upgrade (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/complete-suspension-upgrade-53783/)

adrpibgal 07-17-2015 09:25 AM

Complete Suspension Upgrade

Hello All,

I am curious about the cost to have a complete suspension upgrade for a 2007 LS to the fe4 suspension.

Can anyone provide rough cost breakdown for each component and lump sum for the labor?

My issue is rubbing on the inside of the tires. A couple of months ago I needed to get two new rear tires because I waited too long to get a wheel alignment. I check the tires almost everytime I stop somewhere to see if the tires are too close and they so far seem ok. I have 18" wheels with 235/50 R18 Nitto Motivo tires. Wheels are kind of old and it'd probably be best to get new ones but that's what they came with when I got the car two years ago and I don't wanna spend too much considering I also have a rear main seal leak.

I'm also considering any rear lift options as that might be cheaper than the suspension upgrade or wheel spacers. I'd rather not go the coil spring spacer route as that is not a permanent fix and will probably fall out after a day or two.

Thanks in advance

Slugger088 07-17-2015 03:04 PM

Hey there, im just curious why you think you are having rubbing issues with the stock tire size and with the stock suspension even if you had an alignment or not. That shouldn't be happening.

Also, are you sure you want to lift the car? That wont do anything for handling.

adrpibgal 07-17-2015 03:13 PM

Because I had to replace my rear tires

Wheels and tires are not stock. Stock are 16" I believe

There is some clearance between the soil spring insulators and the tires but i'd rather be sure instead of on edge all the time. I'm not worried about handling at all. I'm leaning more towards getting wheel spacers but just don't know which ones to get.

Slugger088 07-17-2015 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by adrpibgal (Post 668095)
Wheels and tires are not stock. Stock are 16" I believe

There is some clearance between the soil spring insulators and the tires but i'd rather be sure instead of on edge all the time. I'm not worried about handling at all. I'm leaning more towards getting wheel spacers but just don't know which ones to get.

Oh, I'm sorry, I read your post wrong. You have an "LS", I thought I read SS. The LS did not come with 18s, that is true. I would have thought 18's would still fit without any rubbing though -- the wheel wells are the same size but the struts must be different.
Sorry man I don't know much about lift kits. Hope you figure it out.

Hiroska 09-11-2015 08:51 PM

My 20s fit on my ls just fine. Maybe your struts? I had a 06 ls before my ss and my wheel gap had PLENTY room, I've actually seen the biggest wheel fit being 22 inch with no cut or strut lift. There's a white ss lowered on 22s on ls1

adrpibgal 10-05-2015 09:56 AM

Wheel alignment

I've been checking the tires every now and then to see if they were rubbing on the struts but luckily there has been plenty of space between the tires and struts.

I guess I just need to have a careful eye out for wheel alignments.

Thanks for y'alls suggestions.

Hiroska 10-05-2015 03:12 PM

Good to hear, on our 7th gens, you can fit 22s with no lift. There was this guy over on ls1 who had a 7th gen monte lowered on 22s with no rub. Ahaha perfectly fresh with them too

adrpibgal 01-11-2016 01:17 PM

Service Bulletin

1 Attachment(s)
So I waited a little too long to get an alignment and my rear tires blew out. Got some new tires. Damn expensive. In my head I'm thinking there could be three possibilities or contributing factors/solutions:

1. Need to get more frequent wheel alignments (duh)
2. Replace rear struts as they are showing some wear. Mileage is at 146,200 right now.
3. Apparently rear cupping/uneven tire wear is a common issue as described in the service bulletin in the following URL:

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty%...20bulletin.pdf

The bulletin only talks about police vehicles but I have found lots of other civilian car owners with similar issues. Just in case the link dies here's the service bulletin number: NHTSA Technical Service Bulletin: 10026484 / CSP-08032

Other responses to similar complaints say it's toe if you have noisy tires. I don't so I think it's the camber issue.

I got a printout from the Firestone on my alignment after putting on the tires. They didn't touch the camber on my rear wheels but fixed the toe everywhere. Camber on rear wheels are at -1.8 degrees on both sides. I've also heard of camber kits but I'm holding out to see if the dealership would cover the service. Hopefully they will but I kind of doubt it. Doesn't hurt to try. Ideally I'd like to minimize the whole cost for parts and labor to less than $400 as I have gotten a quote from yourmechanic for ~$300 for rear strut replacements and also have heard ~$150 for the camber kit installation. I have like 1/2" clearance between the tire and coil spring cup but it still scares me because I can't check if or how much it rubs while I'm driving.

Anyone have this issue and have gotten it completely remedied? Given that 22" have fitted on others I feel like the camber kit is my best bet.

rack 01-12-2016 11:46 AM

Hi man,

What is this camber kit you are talking about?

I just bought 4 "camber" bolts from rockauto to adjust my front wheels camber.

adrpibgal 01-12-2016 11:48 AM

Yeah I'm talking about those bolts. Some people call a set a kit I guess.