Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   Brakemotive Brakes (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/brakemotive-brakes-57080/)

S.O.G. 09-16-2016 11:58 PM

Brakemotive Brakes

Just received front/rear pads & rotors from brakemotive and just have a real newbie question about the rotors...how do I know which are the front and which are the rears :confused:

Anyone have any tips for install? Or pretty straight forward job? Will be switching them out in the a.m

claydoh 09-17-2016 12:02 AM

Im pretty sure they are all the same size front and rear and doesn't matter! what is, by the way, Brakemotive?? and what did you get??

S.O.G. 09-17-2016 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by claydoh (Post 695406)
Im pretty sure they are all the same size front and rear and doesn't matter! what is, by the way, Brakemotive?? and what did you get??

Thanks for the info! For some reason when I took a peek at the rotors they seemed to be different sizes but I'll look closer tomorrow.

Brakemotive is an eBay brand that sells slotted/drilled rotors that I've heard pretty good reviews on. Couple guys on here have had them and say they are a good buy so I went ahead and picked up front and rears for about 170 :congrats:

claydoh 09-17-2016 12:26 AM

Ok SOG, I may have spoke out of my ass there! looking at rock auto, the slotted and drilled rotor sets, (hi-perf), do seem to me front /rear, left/right specific? they also seem a different thickness front to rear where the bolt holes/hub area is? but the big thing I see is the direction of the slots seem to be left or right oriented! surely the manufacturer has provided some instruction of some sort I hope? im not sure which direction the slots should be curved to as in diver4s side or passenger side! sorry to jump the gun like I knew what I was talking about!!!

claydoh 09-17-2016 02:54 AM

again I have visited the site for brakemotive! impressive stuff and affordable!! I see you can get four slotted/drilled roters AND ceramic brake pads for your 2007 for 167$?? I hope that's the deal you got???

The_Maniac 09-17-2016 07:54 AM

Just compare the rotors you have now to what you are putting on. Normally the hat/hub/center of the rotors is different between front and back (it will be deeper on the back for the e-brake). Plus. the back normally does not have the center cooling fins that the fronts have.

S.O.G. 09-17-2016 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by claydoh (Post 695411)
again I have visited the site for brakemotive! impressive stuff and affordable!! I see you can get four slotted/drilled roters AND ceramic brake pads for your 2007 for 167$?? I hope that's the deal you got???

Yes sir! Just opened them up and they look sharp! Although anything at this point looks better than the brakes that I'm replacing :rotfl:

S.O.G. 09-17-2016 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 695418)
Just compare the rotors you have now to what you are putting on. Normally the hat/hub/center of the rotors is different between front and back (it will be deeper on the back for the e-brake). Plus. the back normally does not have the center cooling fins that the fronts have.

Hey appreciate it, thanks! I popped them open and noticed the depth difference between front and rears right away lol luckily the vendor (brakemotive) had stickers on every rotor with short description of where each one goes! Will be posting up pics soon

S.O.G. 09-18-2016 06:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics of brakemotive's drilled/slotted rotors. They look great. Have driven with them about 50 miles so far and honestly not a huge difference from OEM. For the price, I'd recommend and buy again in the future! :thumbsup:

bumpin96monte 09-26-2016 04:50 PM

Cheap and drilled rotors shouldnt be used together. Multiple 5th gens found that out the hard way with the eBay R1 rotors they used to sell back in the day that would crack around the holes if you actually pushed them.

IMO OEM or equivalent blank rotors are where it's at for a street car. Better braking performance can be had with higher friction pads (at the expense of more noise and more dust) and with larger diameter rotors (for more mass / heat capacity).