General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

factory stereo no sound from speakers

Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Default factory stereo no sound from speakers

Hey everyone I did a couple searches so I am sorry if this is a repeat as I didn't find anything.

So I have a stock stereo in a 2001 monte with the factory amp. I have done nothing to it and made no other electrical changes to the car. The problem started out intermitantly were the stereo would stop outputting sound to the speakers. However now there is no sound at all. I know the stereo is still playing because when a cd is in, the cd time still plays and when on regualar fm it still shows the station and song that its picking up. When the music would come in and out it almost sounded like the radio was loosing reception like static in it. So I am asumming its some sort of short. The only thing I can think of is possibly the wires running from the back of the head unit to the controls on the steering wheel (mute button) could be shorting out. Or it is just shorting out internally??

I was wandering if anyone else was having any problems similar to this.

Please let me know if you can help as driving with just the radio on my cell phone just isnt cool.

If its shot I am going to be looking for a replacement factory unti that will work with my amp and computer system.

By the way once ina while my turn signal dont work until i hit my flasher button then turn my flashers off again then they work fine. ???

Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Default RE: factory stereo no sound from speakers

mine never actually did this but i have heard that the factory amp will burn up or go bad and cause the out put to be lost.

you can tes tthis by getting a junk yard amp and plugging it in to see if it fixes it.

other then this take the dash apart and make sure the plugs havent come out of the back of the stereo or off the amp in the trunk.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 PM

I have looked for loose wires in the dash. Does any one else have any more ideas?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 PM

My wifes 2001 LS just had this same problem with the volume going off and back on again,
and it was actually the radio sorry to say to for us..

The new one is being installed tomorrow as a matter fact..

Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 PM

Does your 2001 LS have the factory amp in the trunk?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 AM

The dealer changed the radio and it turned out not being the radio afterall...
They mis-tested it somehow and found the problemwas the amp..

Yes the amp is in the trunk on the LS also

Old 07-20-2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the input. What did they charge you for the amp?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would suggest borrowing another amp for to see if that's your problem. If so, you can then get prices on the amp of your choice. Don't necessarily have to buy the factory amp from the dealer.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Taz

I would suggest borrowing another amp for to see if that's your problem. If so, you can then get prices on the amp of your choice. Don't necessarily have to buy the factory amp from the dealer.
Yeah that's a good idea TAZ... In my case though my wife wanted to take her car to the dealer
because the company she works for deals with them all the time andshe gets good deals from them
(supposedly) and she likes their service.That works for me cause I don't have to worry about if it gets
done right. It's all her problem to get it right on her car when she goes there.

black2001montess... I don't have any idea what they charged her for it, she won't tell me... When I asked her that, she said "don't worry about it, it's all taken care of ".. I said "alrighty than"... he he he...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 PM

The reason I was asking on the price was because I was assuming it wasnt cheap and was trying to figure out if I should getthe amp or just buy a new reciever and go that route. I was talking to a representative from Crutchfield and they said that if I want to keep the stock reviever I would need to replace the amp with a factory one because there is no wiring harness to hook the wires from the factory reciever to an aftermarket amp. So if I bought an aftermarket amp I would need an aftermaket reciever which in turn doesnt necessarily "need" an amp butcan be added if desired.
Thanks for all the input though.
I am considering putting in a dvd unit if it is the amp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: factory stereo no sound from speakers