Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

Anyone remember this car?

Old 03-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Default Anyone remember this car?

Sorry this is a little long.

2002 MCSS Gen V Topswapped with FSIC, pocket ported L32 heads, 130# springs, titanium retainers, Rollmaster Double Roller, N*, Mezeire's EWP, setup for E85 (not tuned for it yet), TOG's, lowered.
Was owned by a guy from MN -I helped him source some of the parts for the build and when he got a job that made him be able to afford a new Jeep he took the car to KCMO to get it but only made it to his bank to withdraw the $$ for the new ride where the Mezeires died. Parked the car next to the garage for several months and called me to come get it out of his way.
I put a Series I 3800 high volume belt driven water pump on, swapped the old dry-rotted 225/55/17's for Dunlop SP Sport 5000 245/50/17's. Drove the car for 5 months while working 55+ hr work weeks and dealing with a blown out header dp gasket for the last 3 months so I was typically driving with the radio cranked up to cover the exhaust drone. Unfortunately being unable to get time off to fix the car I was making a Friday evening run to pick up some LSx parts, sitting outside a salvage yard door 60 miles away, that I had bought over the phone on lunch break. The last 8 miles to the salvage yard is a 2 lane road (55 MPH speed zone) that has a few hills and curves along with a few straight stretches for passing.... in the rare occasion there isn't oncoming traffic. For the the first 5 miles of that stretch I was the 3rd vehicle in a growing line of 15+ cars, due to the front car having trouble finding a speed to cruise at.... 20mph, 47mph, 30mph, 50 mph, 25 mph....... non-stop speed fluctuating by over 20 mph, and through the first few straight stretches oncoming traffic was spaced just enough to be annoying by just being too close for anyone to pass.
Finally, we had decelled to 25 mph and there was an opening -I gave the car in front of me just enough time to signal their decision to pass when I saw a car 2 spots behind me begin to pull out to pass and I slammed the shifter *into 2nd gear* and I was off to the races. The car pulled extremely well with the 3.8" pulley and IC not working with a dead pump, and as I got along the front car (accellerating hard at this point to not let other cars pass) I noticed my speedo edging past 70 mph and WHAM!!!! The engine died, the lights went out, and I lost all power. Being at that speed I was going plenty fast to coast around the front car, and seeing out of the corner of my eye (just before the engine died) that the driver of that car was giving me the finger.... (okay maybe set your cruise at the speed limit buddy).
As I coasted in front of the first car (still going 15+ mph faster than them) and over to the shoulder I've shifted to nuetral and am trying to get the car to restart when I see a BLACK cloud in the rear view mirror.... at which point I quickly realize I hadn't shifted from 2nd to Nuetral.... the shifter was in OD, meaning I had run the engine/trans up to 72'ish mph in FIRST GEAR(!)....
Turns out that black cloud was a very heavy oil mist from the oil blowing out the hole left from the #5 rod exiting the block and lodging into the starter (totally shorted the electrical system). The cars are passing me at this time and the first guy who's been driving erratically, hindering the flow of traffic, goes buy with his windshield wipers going and is shaking his fist at me. lol
Sadly that bottom end and starter are toast but I have picked up a L32 that will get any goodies that survived the death of the original motor will be swapped to, along with some ARP head studs and rod bolts, Clevite 77 H-Series rod bearings (sent these into Calico for their coating), have the EWP in getting rebuilt by Mezeire's, and am getting ready to finally uninstall the old motor and prep/install the new after the car has sat the past 10 months.
Hoping to have some updates soon, as well as for the iron 6.0L turbo project in the storage unit.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone remember this car?-20170127_165850-1-.jpg  
Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 PM

I'm confused how the engine continued to rev in 1st to 72 mph. Any idea what rpm that was?

I'm just thinking the pcm should've fuel cut long before that, and even if the tune was jacked, I would've thought the stock ignition system would've started going wacky at 7k +.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well no I do not remember this particular Monte, appears to have been some good efforts put onto its engine assembly. If we had his MCF users name that may help members recall this build a bit better. Those Miezere WP's do have their issues for sure. Had to have mine rebuilt this past summer, had it made into the HD 55 GPM version. You going to get yours rebuilt and back on too? I like them for those days sitting in heavy traffic and keeping the temps down. The factory wp's actually flow very good for a halfway modified engine.

Wow, quite the story you put together, you are about as long winded as me. Do love the details, helps put me there next to you so I can yell at them with you while they drive oblivious to the stress their numb nut driving is creating behind them. Always some clown out there just bumbling along.

Now the end of the story sucked popping your engine like you did. That had to have been ugly, but funny as the slow drivers car got an oil bath.

Best of luck resurrecting your beast, don't wait till winter, lets get it done in a month or two...

Old 03-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I'm confused how the engine continued to rev in 1st to 72 mph. Any idea what rpm that was?

I'm just thinking the pcm should've fuel cut long before that, and even if the tune was jacked, I would've thought the stock ignition system would've started going wacky at 7k +.

I'm confused too because my 2005 monte supercharged SS will shift out all the way to drive even with the shifter is in 1st .

Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by zjerry
I'm confused too because my 2005 monte supercharged SS will shift out all the way to drive even with the shifter is in 1st .
Mine will also.. The monte I had years ago, would stay in 1st.. The bonneville I have will stay in first..

Why is it different I wonder? Honestly it really sucks because the car will shift at 5700 if its in 1st instead of 6100rpm as its tuned to, as it does in "D"?

Sorry to threadjack but does anyone have any info on this??

Search this Thread