Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   SOOOOO Close! Yet SOOOOO far away.... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/sooooo-close-yet-sooooo-far-away-19067/)

vita 03-01-2010 05:07 PM

SOOOOO Close! Yet SOOOOO far away....

I was driving around a corner and sure enough, a 6th gen SS was pulling out and heading the same direction. Up to a light and when I look over... some older lady. Needless to say, I wasnt going to get a race outta her.

My hunt continues!

Cowboy6622 03-01-2010 05:19 PM

Gendar and age may decrease your chances of a race, but it doesn't mean you won't get one! It would be an interesting line up to see! I think that Cobra 'Stang may get it though!

03JGMonte 03-01-2010 05:27 PM

u shoulda tried u nvr know lol

u could always race this, i think it be a close one:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...dcd603e46d.jpg

vita 03-01-2010 06:03 PM

That saleen looks pretty nice. The nicer part? If its a newer (03/04 model) one, thenn its pushing 375 HP to the crank. Mine at 320 stock isnt going to keep up. :P

I WANT to find a supercharged SS or newer SS with a v8 to race around here. Cant even find an SS though. :-(

03JGMonte 03-01-2010 06:20 PM

this will really make u scratch ur head its a 99 4V Saleen, idk what it pushes out but itl smoke a 300C SRT8

Chevy Commando 03-01-2010 06:38 PM

Why are you picking on us little v6 fwd cars. We all know that we can't go very fast. Perhaps you need to pick on the Camero SS :p Besides are you from? Here soon...I might be looking for you :eek:

vita 03-01-2010 08:14 PM

Haha... I wouldnt even run with a camaro SS. Im looking for my brother to come up... he has a 69 camaro with a 454 that would scoot pretty well and a 02 camaro that he bought for his DD. That has a CRAP load done to it, but I have NO idea what it is.

TheMonteCarloKid 03-01-2010 10:03 PM

If you find yourself in the Boise Idaho area, I'll run with you in my monte.. as soon as i get a battery for it!!! lol

red04montels 03-01-2010 10:13 PM

lol, this reminded me of something last year

these kids were in a car, kinda crappy, but they were revving up the engine at a stop light to an older woman in a station wagon, and i thought nothing of it, just thought they were being dumb, but when the light turned green, the lady hammered on it and did a small burnout and smoked the car with the kids in it, ha it was awesome

bumpin96monte 03-01-2010 10:41 PM

Mine at 320 stock isnt going to keep up. :P

I WANT to find a supercharged SS or newer SS with a v8 to race around here. Cant even find an SS though. :-(
I don't see the point in bothering with a 240 hp FWD when you've got 80 more horsepower, its obvious you're going to win. A 300 hp car would be a bit closer, but you still have a 20 hp advantage and the RWD traction advantage- so that isn't really a fair match either...

vita 03-02-2010 05:16 AM

Cobra's are nice cars bumpin.. but cobras have one MAJOR problem with racing. They wheel hop REALLY bad due to our IRS (Independent Rear Suspension). I really just want to find one to use it as a comparision to my LS. Ive raced SS's before and know how bad I got walked on. I want to try to compare this car to my LS. Only reason why Im looking for an SS.

As for the Supercharged SS's or the newer ones... I really think they would be able to give me a decent run for my money.

JAFO 03-02-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 205092)
I don't see the point in bothering with a 240 hp FWD when you've got 80 more horsepower, its obvious you're going to win. A 300 hp car would be a bit closer, but you still have a 20 hp advantage and the RWD traction advantage- so that isn't really a fair match either...

I guess then you're saying I should stop looking for a Smartfortwo at a stoplight that wants to run ? :D

monte07 03-02-2010 08:32 AM

i have a link bar set up in my mustang but thats why i have my monty as a dd. i have a great deal done to my mustang gt it is just under the mark of a fully built cobra engine wich is a quad cam 4 valve compared to my 2 valve. my 2 valve is just under a 1000. the paper work for the dyno i did in va said it sits at 880 and 860 at the wheels. thats before the supercharger that i put on. right now it is sitting so i can find a dyno place so i can dyno tune it properly i dont want to super lean the motor i want to make sure every thing is hitting there marks.

TheMonteMan 03-02-2010 01:22 PM

what kinda times did the older cobras run? i know they had that bad batch that they first put out that didnt make the power they said they were making. and then they supercharged them but what did the na ones run once they straightened that whole thing out? and as we all know in a street race the higher hp car doesnt always win.

vita 03-06-2010 03:19 PM

Bone stock:
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT
0-60 - 5.4 seconds
1/4 Mile - 13.9 seconds

The 99 had the problem, they did about 20HP less than what they said. They recalled, people brought them back and had some parts swapped out so they werent restricted and got a tune. After the recall, they were put back up to the 320.

bumpin96monte 03-06-2010 03:40 PM

and as we all know in a street race the higher hp car doesnt always win.
No, but more power, less weight, and more traction never hurt :)

Plus, the manual trans should bring drivetrain losses down to help negate having to spin the driveshaft too.

Definitely would be a closer race than I thought though...

The 99 had the problem, they did about 20HP less than what they said. They recalled, people brought them back and had some parts swapped out so they werent restricted and got a tune. After the recall, they were put back up to the 320.
I think that would've been an odd thing to get the ball rolling on- how do you tell your dealer that your car is dyno'ing lower than it should be? I wonder if they found out by doing a wheel dyno and estimating losses, or if someone actually pulled the engine out of their brand new car and put it on an engine dyno?

monte07 03-06-2010 07:50 PM

the people who had the 99 mustang cobra were being beeten or being kept up to with the regular gt with intake and exaughst. stock mustang gt has a 3.10 rear stock exaughst and intake making 286about 260 to the wheels the cobra has the same rear end but better breathing and better of the two motors. side by side fully built and super charged the two valve sits a mid to hundred less than a fully built supercharged 4 valve 4.6 v8 but they are quick as h#ll just changing the intake and better exaughst on both motors. learned that with my 2 valve and my neighbor learned that with his 4 valve as well.

monte07 03-06-2010 07:54 PM

but i miss when the big coupes like the monte being rear wheel drive. but i cant complane its a dd just wish there were a better market out there for it like the older gens like the 6th and the 4th in a way for the fouth gen. besides that have you noticed there is barly a aftermarket for the 5th and 7th gen expecially for the ones who have the3.9

vita 03-08-2010 09:43 AM

the problem was, the monte never broke into the "street racing" scenes. When it first came out, it just never tried for that rep because of the success of the camaro at the time.

as for the GT's beating 99's, yes. Pre-problem, the cars were dramatically under-rated and weighed more because of the IRS instead of the SRA.

I still think any of you guys with boost could give me one hell of a run, PLUS probably pull of a win. Plus, probably paid less for your cars than I did for mine. :-(

TheMonteMan 03-15-2010 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by vita (Post 206874)
the problem was, the monte never broke into the "street racing" scenes. When it first came out, it just never tried for that rep because of the success of the camaro at the time.

as for the GT's beating 99's, yes. Pre-problem, the cars were dramatically under-rated and weighed more because of the IRS instead of the SRA.

I still think any of you guys with boost could give me one hell of a run, PLUS probably pull of a win. Plus, probably paid less for your cars than I did for mine. :-(

i dont think the gts could beat the 4v no matter what. the 4v outpowers it by a ton. theyre 2 different animals. you ask me the 2v is a pig. i drove one for quite a while and was far from impressed. i did like the car though. hey man worry not. that 4 valve youve got is worth its weight in gold and im sure you could find a factory blower on ebay for a reasonable price.

monte07 03-15-2010 10:36 AM

saleen has a blower for the 2v and the 4v thats where i got my 2v blower from and a smaller pully for it. dont worry i have the 2v enginge but i wish i had the 4v like your cobra vita. because the iron 4 bolt main it has all i have with my 2v is it is a s bolt main bottom end

Deadsnake 03-15-2010 12:44 PM

Race Silverbulett see if you have a chance :P

RickAKATed10 03-15-2010 02:18 PM

Where are you located?

monte07 03-15-2010 04:01 PM

who me lakeland florida. besides if any thing the two manufacturers i always get is chevy and ford because they never let me down when i needed to go any where. so if any thing it will be show boating as in act like we are going to race get up to speed quick and go around the block show boating both cars as in goofing off.

RickAKATed10 03-15-2010 04:17 PM

Nope, the OP.

03JGMonte 03-15-2010 05:04 PM

ill run ya with my new car im buying lol hehe

2003supersport 03-16-2010 02:01 AM

I'd try ya if you were closer, I've dumped 5.0's and GT's no prob, even took a daytona charger but by the skin of my teeth haha. I love running 5.0 guys though, they never see it coming. just act all cocky. sure their car's exhaust sounds wayyyy better than mine, but when i spank them by 6-7 car length's, i realize im just fine with my boosted 6.

monte07 03-16-2010 10:03 AM

wich means 2003 supersport you have seen and went up agansed all show and no go 5.0 and gt. majority of the mustangs out there they have a really low gear for economy you can build up the motor and go about 50. if you built it from the back to the front it would be a beast. change the rear gear to upgrade the trans as well as the motor. i went from the back to the front on mine.

Cully77 03-16-2010 12:18 PM

I was behind a Cobra last summer that would have definitely gone for it. Unfortunately there was a new beetle (wtf? girlfriend???) lined up next to it, and tried pitifully to keep up.

I might have had a chance against the cobra since he went more sideways than straight through the intersection.

It was loud as all get out, he could have been modded as well.

RickAKATed10 03-16-2010 02:49 PM

I really want a Mustang GT and a Challenger R/T.

TheMonteMan 03-16-2010 09:53 PM

^^^^ agreed im always trying to get a match up with a 3v and it never happens.

TheMonteMan 03-16-2010 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by monte07 (Post 209467)
wich means 2003 supersport you have seen and went up agansed all show and no go 5.0 and gt. majority of the mustangs out there they have a really low gear for economy you can build up the motor and go about 50. if you built it from the back to the front it would be a beast. change the rear gear to upgrade the trans as well as the motor. i went from the back to the front on mine.

what does that mean? the 5.0 really did need some gearing to go, but the 2v gts had at least 3.27 in them. regardless neither is quick stock. and any car can be a beast if you mod the **** out of it. whether you do it from back to front or front to back. and i doubt that 2003 supersport is putting 6-7 lengths on a 2v if a daytona charger is giving him a decent run.

2003supersport 03-17-2010 05:45 AM

yea the charger daytona was before my header install. i just had a tune adjustment and a new dyno done about a week ago and im seeing more power now, netted an extra 28 WHP from it all. tune was being weird so just decided to have it redone anyways. mustangs i spank all day dont even put my foot on the pedal for them anymore. Havent had any recent new challenges, daytona was a while ago. I'd like a chance to run with another daytona or R/T see how i stack up.
BTW, you can doubt me all you want, my car likes doubters :)

vita 03-17-2010 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 (Post 209229)
Nope, the OP.

From Fargo area at school, or wisconsin when I go home.

2003, with your f/i, thats why im trying to find a supercharged SS. not a lot of modded monte's ive seen around here at all... let alone someone dropping a SC on one. I want to see how I stack up!

TheMonteMan 03-17-2010 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2003supersport (Post 209736)
yea the charger daytona was before my header install. i just had a tune adjustment and a new dyno done about a week ago and im seeing more power now, netted an extra 28 WHP from it all. tune was being weird so just decided to have it redone anyways. mustangs i spank all day dont even put my foot on the pedal for them anymore. Havent had any recent new challenges, daytona was a while ago. I'd like a chance to run with another daytona or R/T see how i stack up.
BTW, you can doubt me all you want, my car likes doubters :)

well consider me a doubter. what do you honestly feel your car runs? your saying 7 lengths on a flat 14 car.

vita 03-19-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cully77 (Post 209500)
I was behind a Cobra last summer that would have definitely gone for it. Unfortunately there was a new beetle (wtf? girlfriend???) lined up next to it, and tried pitifully to keep up.

I might have had a chance against the cobra since he went more sideways than straight through the intersection.

It was loud as all get out, he could have been modded as well.

Careful. Ill let you know, the 99/01's will give you a fight, the 03/04s are just too much. they have 390HP stock, and thats considered to be "under-rated" of what they actually push out. Their F/I and definitely tear it up.

TheMonteMan 03-19-2010 03:21 PM

^^^ agreed 03-04 was more like 430hp.