Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Some drag racing down in Mexico (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/some-drag-racing-down-mexico-46423/)

Enzo354 01-02-2014 08:35 PM

Some drag racing down in Mexico

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...camaroenzo.jpg

This is my 5.3 Monte, I was shifting early at 4500 rpm and still had some torque management issues to figure out. Bone stock besides headers.

The Camaro is a friend of mine, 383 LT1 on a 150 shot of nitrous. He back halved me pretty hard haha.

He ended up beating me by about 3 cars on both runs.

ZIPPY02 01-02-2014 09:27 PM

Funny what you can get away with in Mexico... Looks like they have been lifting our Stop signs and taking them south of the border, as they don't say Alto. :)

Your car sounds so healthy, pulls very hard off the line, great launches. What were you guys doing 1/2 mile runs, seemed longer than a 1/4 mile. Looked like a good time to be had, nice location, great asphalt, straight road. Don't get better than that... :) :)

Enzo354 01-02-2014 10:32 PM

Hahaha, they haven't left is many signs have they?

I'm really hoping to improve my launch with a bigger stall once I get a cam. I'm launching at 1300 RPM right now :D

The first run was about 1/4, the second one we held it longer, but nothing crazy.

ZIPPY02 01-02-2014 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 588460)
Hahaha, they haven't left is many signs have they?

I'm really hoping to improve my launch with a bigger stall once I get a cam. I'm launching at 1300 RPM right now :D

The first run was about 1/4, the second one we held it longer, but nothing crazy.

!300rpm launch? wow, thats crazy low isn't it, your launch is pretty damn hard your leaving the Camaro behind. So you say you hope to impove your launch with a bigger stall. What do you mean a higher stall converter?

The second run you held the lead till just the very end, pretty sweet... :)

I launch at about 3300rpm.

Enzo354 01-02-2014 11:17 PM

It's very low haha, but with my stock cam and truck intake I make enough torque to help me out a bit. And yea, I need to find a torque converter that will be able to handle what I want to do with the car. I picked up a nitrous kit and a plate, hopefully going to be running a 200 shot by spring. That should help make a difference haha.

ZIPPY02 01-02-2014 11:32 PM

I was wondering if you were alluding to a higher stall converter. Explain if you would why a higher stall converter helps launching. I have a 3600 stall lock up converter which Matt says is optimal for the build, and then John (Turbo Monte) is going with a 2700 stall. Wouldn't the 2700 launch better than the 3600 or is it dependent on the cars particular setup? I mean my car launches pretty good and pulls great, but why all the hype for a lower stall by some builders and others like Matt believe the higher stall is the way to go. Thanks, would love to understand this better.

Enzo354 01-02-2014 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 588468)
I was wondering if you were alluding to a higher stall converter. Explain if you would why a higher stall converter helps launching. I have a 3600 stall lock up converter which Matt says is optimal for the build, and then John (Turbo Monte) is going with a 2700 stall. Wouldn't the 2700 launch better than the 3600 or is it dependent on the cars particular setup? I mean my car launches pretty good and pulls great, but why all the hype for a lower stall by some builders and others like Matt believe the higher stall is the way to go. Thanks, would love to understand this better.

Really it all depends on your cam and set up in general. Normally the bigger the cam and the crazier the build, the higher the stall you want to go. You just want to get a stall that will get your motor in it's powerband.

If you have a truck and tow or rock crawl, a great stall is a stock size one, very low.

Lets say I went with a smaller cam that made horsepower from 3000rpm to 6000 rpm, I could do a 3000-3500 ish stall, and be pretty well off.
If I did a pretty big cam, that made power from 4000 rpm to 7000rpm I could go with a 4000rpm stall, but with my set up, anything over 4000 is going to be a waste. Not to mention it makes it pretty much un-driveable on the street, since I do not have lock up like you do.

Some people with designated drag cars do 5000 stalls or even higher, it get's pretty crazy, and you start breaking a lot of stuff on launches.

ZIPPY02 01-03-2014 01:08 AM

Ha I knew you would know whats up with the stall questions. Appreciate your clarifying this for me, ha a 5,000 stall? Wow that would really tend to launch one pretty darn hard, bet things would break. Well good luck on your ongoing build. Cool video, loved watching you in action. You had him the second race if it would of only had been a quarter mile. :) :)

The_Maniac 01-03-2014 08:52 AM

Nice video!

Just be careful. Even though it looks like it was a nice/empty location for a little "street race", you're out in local roads, anything can happen (animal or another car run out in front of you or of course getting pulled over).

turbo monte 01-03-2014 09:40 AM

Awesome video! I seen Greg mentioned me, I had a 3500 stall and that is where my power band is but I couldn't hook up at all even at the track on slicks so that's why I dropped the stall to get out of the major power rpms to get the car to roll a bit before hitting big power. Also as said the 3500 stall was barely street able and I constantly battled trans temp issues. I'm hoping the 2700 stall will help with temps and also help me hook a bit better. We shall see soon :)