Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Slow Drags (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/slow-drags-45804/)

hauntedtexan 11-09-2013 03:33 AM

Slow Drags

We had a "Slow-Drag" competition when I lived in So Cal and I don't hear anything about this very fun event anymore. At a show or get together, we would fasten 2x4's every 25-30' across both lanes, had someone walk next to each racer to assure no brakes were used, clutches depressed, or neutral snuck in, and the last car to finish, wins. Rules varied, no more than 20 people in the car, all tires had to have required air pressure and you had to drive with the headlights facing forward.... No racing in reverse (it's been tried). It all boiled down to how finely tuned can you your ride? My '53 Caddy coupe could pretty much idle up a curb at 300 rpm and the Turtle trophies kept-a-comin. Great fun, anyone was eligible that was legal to drive, and a great opportunity to show off your ride. Has anyone else ever participated? I realize that most new cars cannot be idled down much, but options exist to drop your idle.

Space 11-09-2013 04:15 AM

Hi `Ken,
I learn something new everyday on the MCF. I never heard of `Slow Drag ? > but now I do (LOL)...Yes, it sure would be a good event to show `off your `ride...(I'd be afraid I'd fall asleep (LOL).

I found the below `vid & just about fell asleep watching it (LOL), but it's really early on this new day of life.

Great to see you online & thanks for posting/sharing :thumbsup:

Space 11-09-2013 04:22 AM

What do you think ? Watch the below `Vid ?

turbo monte 11-09-2013 07:48 AM

i think i would get bored way to easily with this lol

Space 11-09-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte (Post 580901)
i think i would get bored way to easily with this lol

:rolleyes:
:rotfl:LoL `John, I bet I could sleep walk slower then you :eek::confused::rotfl:
I bet they don't have to spent a lot of $'s replacing tires, clutches & buying a lot of fuel :eek::rotfl:

I could imagine you falling asleep in your Turbo Monte & winning the contest ( They would wake you `up & let you know U won : ) > :rotfl:
I learn all kinds of things on the MCF 4-Sure :):thumbsup::congrats:

STUMPMI 11-09-2013 08:00 AM

The best slow drags are on Harleys! Ever been to a EasyRider rodeo?
Now there is some slow drags! Now that's a slow drag!

Space:
That video phenomenon of the car rolling up hill is an optical illusion I have experienced over the years many many times.... Driving Semi Trucks across the country thru the mountains.... It looks like your going downhill..When you actually going up and visa versa...:thumbsup:

Space 11-09-2013 08:12 AM

Hi Mod `David,
That's a super slow `vid > I enjoyed 4-Sure...That would take good balance 4-Real. The bum's & I will have to try this on our peddle bikes (LOL) Thanks for posting/sharing...

Space:

That video phenomenon of the car rolling up hill is an optical illusion I have experienced over the years many many times.... Driving Semi Trucks across the country thru the mountains.... It looks like your going downhill..When you actually going up and visa versa...:thumbsup:

:rolleyes:
Thanks`David, It has to be a weird experience (What were U Smok'in ?) LOL

hauntedtexan 11-10-2013 08:49 AM

I was part of the "Over The Hill Gang" car club is SoCal when I was introduced to this. The "track", on both sides, would be lined with lawn chairs full of (overly)inebriated observers there to see a rolling car show instead of having to stumble around in an arena with the chance of falling down, getting lost, being out of sight of their significant other, etc....lol Just a fun, no pressure way to get the crowd to notice... Of course, there were the hard-cores that almost used a stethoscope to get their RPM to 90 but still have enough to leave the line. The spirit of the event was much like the "Non-boat owners parade in old Silverdale, Wa during Whaling Days (where no whales had been seen for 20 years) The folks hooked empty boat trailers on the back of their cars and the announcer told the crowd what the trailer would have if the owner had a boat! Folks lined the parade route, cheered from wherever they could find a spot.... Drivers were costumed, in some cases naked and cowering, but it was an event that we looked forward to. Car shows, in my opinion, should be an event, not a somber memorial.... The parade evolved....lmao

Space 11-10-2013 09:24 AM

Try'in 2 get over the Hill @ low RPM's

hauntedtexan 11-10-2013 11:44 AM

THANK YOU! did not know these pics were out there! Our chapter of the club would build and raffle a 55-56-57 chevy, yearly through donations and parts given to us for the Cooper Home for Abused Children, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans foundation. It was an honor to be called "friend" by them. I joined in '89, 1 of our members had a Curtis! My duty 1 year was to plan and announce a car run around the Speedway USA track in Victorville, Ca, winner vocally voted by the crowd, we filled the whole track! This was us:
Over The Hill Gang - Apple Valley