Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Raced an Escalade (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/raced-escalade-16770/)

Frosty LS1 10-25-2009 11:16 PM

Raced an Escalade

So I was driving home one night, don't remember where I was coming from, but I see the blue LED lights in my rear view mirror, I instantly recognized the shade and shape and pinpointed the vehicle to either be an Avalanche of Escalade.

I cruised another two miles or so and saw his Cadillac Escalade EXT (pickup truck version) slowly begin to pass me, I was in a racing mood that night so I jumped on it, going from 35MPH to 50MPH and escaping his pass. I let off the gas a bit and checked my mirrors again only to see his big truck lurch forward, well I stomped on the gas too, but I was at 45mph by then and my 40MPH lag kicked in, so my engine refused to kick itself into high gear. He passed me easily, and I couldn't catch up.

We came up to the next red light, it requires you to take a gradual but long right turn. The light went green and I started out with a slow and easy acceleration until I heard him gun the engine and lurch forward. I stayed slow on the curve, because my tires are wearing out and I could hear them squeal while losing grip. Once we go to the straight away again he was about two car lengths ahead of me, going 55MPH or so, I jumped on the pedal fully now that I was in the straight away and saw myself begin to gain on him! I was certain that the 3800's lack of top end power would mean certain doom compared to his huge V8. I don't know if he let up or what, but at 70MPH I passed him and cut in front.

At the next red light he was positioned directly behind me, I started up, nice and easy again, let us pass the cars in the other lane and as soon as there was a wide open lane for us to use I jumped on it again, I was at 35MPH so luckily for me the car revved up quickly putting distance between us, he took the right lane, me in the left and caught up a little bit. We ran neck and neck all the way up too 100MPH, mind you this was on the outskirts of town, speed limit is 45MPH. Well I said to myself, "I've got 1 week left before I leave for the Navy, a major speeding ticket like this could drastically change my life" so I let off, and he passed me doing 105 and quickly stopped, turning off the nearest road. I went home after that, amazed at how fast and powerful that huge luxury truck was.

Turns out the EXT from 2003 to 2006 came with 6.0 L HO Vortec V8 with 345HP, and the 2007-2009 EXT's came with a 6.2 L HO Vortec V8 with 403HP. I'm not sure what year it was, probably 2005-2008...don't know the trucks well enough, but compared to my 200HP V6, I was outgunned by anywhere from 145HP to 203HP, so I think I did alright against that beast. Can't wait till I'm supercharged, I'll only have 250HP or so but I will definitely be able to outperform that Cadillac then! :D

MAMONTE 10-26-2009 08:46 AM

Good Race. I'm not surprised, i've beat an Escalade at WOT on the highway starting at 70MPH. Yea, the Escalades make more power, but they weigh like twice as much as a Monte!

Good Job man! :)

ChibiBlackSheep 10-26-2009 09:15 AM

I remember the days of the WOT lag. You will love it when you get your tune :)

Enzo354 10-26-2009 09:15 AM

Yea, Ive driven our escalade and it hauls..trust me when he was at 100 he felt planted :P.... haha but congrats on the races.

Frosty LS1 10-26-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep (Post 172416)
I remember the days of the WOT lag. You will love it when you get your tune :)

That 40MPH lag on the 3800 costs a lot in the little street races I occasionally engage in. I know I can get it tuned out, and I plan to after the supercharge, but do you know what causes it and why it's there?

Frosty LS1 10-26-2009 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 172417)
Yea, Ive driven our escalade and it hauls..trust me when he was at 100 he felt planted :P.... haha but congrats on the races.

By "planted" do you mean the Escalade starts to run a lot slower after the 100MPH range?

Budsjlm 10-26-2009 09:24 PM

power to wait ration ... immagin that size motor in your monte holly hell that thing would FLY

Enzo354 10-26-2009 10:41 PM

As In planted I mean stable. I went 90 in ours with my parentals in the thing and It felt completely comfortable, no little shakes or anything.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-27-2009 08:51 AM

the 40mph WOT lag is because of your transmission, it's going to fast to get the proper downshift so it lags.

Once you get your changed shift points, voila.

peoples 01 ss 10-30-2009 05:30 PM

wow i liked the story very detailed lol