Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Quick spurt racing, and questions?? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/quick-spurt-racing-questions-26967/)

Patches O'Hoolihan 03-22-2011 12:56 PM

Quick spurt racing, and questions??

A few days back my friend with a 99 VW Jetta with the 1.8 turbo and I decided to race. His Jet was pretty snappy and we thought it would be a good try, and to much of my surprise I managed to pull away with quite ease. (A little background on my Monte, it's a 00 with a CAI and a PCM tune, although I wasn't aware of my PCM tune until a few weeks ago, because when I hit 107 I was expecting it to drop, but it kept on going until 130 and then I **** myself:D.) While doing this quick spurt of racing another kid came up behind us, while we were cruising on the highway (doing roughly 70) and he has a 03 PT Cruiser with a 5 speed and it's turbo'd (basically the SRT-4) my question was what do you guys & girls think, what would win a 00 Monte or the PT Cruiser, and the PT is completely stock minus a fart can...:confused:Let me know what you all think, cuz this punkass wants to "show me up" not saying that I even want to race him, but I'm just curious...

ChibiBlackSheep 03-22-2011 01:34 PM

First off, I hope this is all on a track and you would NEVER be racing on a public road ;)

Second, the PT Cruiser would walk all over you. Their turbo's put out the same power as the L67 and are a little lighter than your car. Also a turbo'd vehicle is not hard to adjust the power, so you don't know if he really is running with stock settings.

TheMonteMan 03-22-2011 02:51 PM

im surprised you beat the jetta. i thought the gearing was different in the pt loser over the srt4? i could be wrong. either way it should be a beating. what motor is in your monte? even if its the 3.8 it shouldnt stand a chance.

Montess2k 03-23-2011 07:11 AM

2000 ss's only came with a N/A 3.8...as the others stated pt would walk away from you....

Joe

mrl390 03-24-2011 11:39 AM

Funny you post this. I have raced a A4 with the 1.8 turbo and destroyed it. Its basically the same thing as the Jettas. Ive also raced a turbo PT and lost miserably. It was an auto PT but I still lost. I used to race a kid I worked with a while ago. He has a cobalt base. I would beat him badly every time. One day he drove his mom's PT to work cause his car was getting worked on. He was joking with me asking if I wanted to race his mom's PT cruiser. I laughed and agreed not knowing how fast those turbo PT cruisers actually were. I learned really quick, lol.

Patches O'Hoolihan 03-24-2011 11:44 AM

I guess the next step is to turbo my car. Thanks for the input guys, I was just curious because I've never shown interest at all to a PT Cruiser, and just from my assumption I figured it'd be a turd, but yeah thanks again!