Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Just got back from the drag strip! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/just-got-back-drag-strip-15389/)

bearbear3_4 08-16-2009 01:49 AM

Just got back from the drag strip!

Just got back from the strip. I didn't do to bad considering it was my very first time. What really is getting me is my reaction time.

Here is my best run:

R/T ... .201
60' ... 2.38
1/8 ... 10.16
MPH ... 70.35
1/4 ... 15.62
MPH ...92.02

This is with the Monte bone stock 3900 and spare in the back. Now that I have a base line, it's time to start slowly adding things like air intake, exhaust and so forth. And then making more runs to see if there is any improvement.

PINKFLOYD_ 08-16-2009 02:20 AM

Add a twin turbo,new air intake and a few mods to the engine to handle the turbo and leave about 1/4 tank of gas. Should get 11's.

Space 08-16-2009 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by bearbear3_4 (Post 152068)
Just got back from the strip. I didn't do to bad considering it was my very first time. What really is getting me is my reaction time.

Originally Posted by bearbear3_4 (Post 152068)

Here is my best run:

1/4 ... 15.62
MPH ...92.02

This is with the Monte bone stock 3900 and spare in the back. Now that I have a base line, it's time to start slowly adding things like air intake, exhaust and so forth. And then making more runs to see if there is any improvement.

:rolleyes:
Thanks `Wayne for posting. It should not be to hard to get
your 3.9L in2 the 14teens...How many miles on your Monte ?
What air pressure did you run ?
Please keep us updated on your mod's and future trips to the
track. I really love the power of the 3.9L & wish they had more
aftermarket parts to bring out it's power. I think the VVT
adds alot of power in the upper RPM range.
Will be looking forward to your updates.
Thanks again, enjoyed reading your words.
Please take some pic's next trip to the track, or
a vid would be SuperSuper 4-Sure.
Wish you `Fun

Frosty LS1 08-16-2009 05:04 AM

Was this a run on a bone stock 3.9? Don't they push 240HP? I'm a little surprised at the time, it's just a hair quicker than the 3.8, but maybe the car's heavier, and other things. For a 1/4 mile application I think you need to get some good FWD radial drag tires, that can shave some time off. And like the PINKFLOYD member said, run with as little weight as possible, lose the spare, lose the jack, run with 1/4 tank of gas, take everything out of your backseat/glovebox etc. Engine rockers are known to take up to 1/2 a second off your 1/4 mile time, but they cost at least $300. Try using Royal Purple synethtic oil and transmission fluid, plus use 93 octane fuel.

ChibiBlackSheep 08-16-2009 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS (Post 152091)
plus use 93 octane fuel.

Don't use a higher quality fuel on a stock non-boosted car that requires regular gas.

bearbear3_4 08-16-2009 12:16 PM

I was running 35 PSI in all the tires and was running with a 1/4 tank of gas.

I kept everything that came with the car in the car, I wanted to get a complete stock base line. I'm planing on going next weekend, this is when Ill start taking out the spare, removing the headlight infront of the air box, K&N pannel filter and just keep going up from there. And I'm only going to do one thing at a time to see if there really is any gains.

bearbear3_4 08-16-2009 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by KidSpace (Post 152082)
:rolleyes:
Thanks `Wayne for posting. It should not be to hard to get
your 3.9L in2 the 14teens...How many miles on your Monte ?
What air pressure did you run ?
Please keep us updated on your mod's and future trips to the
track. I really love the power of the 3.9L & wish they had more
aftermarket parts to bring out it's power. I think the VVT
adds alot of power in the upper RPM range.
Will be looking forward to your updates.
Thanks again, enjoyed reading your words.
Please take some pic's next trip to the track, or
a vid would be SuperSuper 4-Sure.
Wish you `Fun

I do have a vid. It's me getting my butt wooped by an M5
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=62022241

Space 08-16-2009 12:31 PM

Hi `Wayne, Keep us updated on your times/mod's `ok. I thought you may want to check out
the GTP with a 3.9L 240HP with six speed transmission. I wanted a six speed manuel in my LT3 Monte....On this test is ran 0-60 in 6.2 seconds.
Other tests were in the high fives, and 1/4 mile in low 14teens.

First Look: 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP

Excitable Boy
text size

January 25, 2006
By Matt Stone
Photography by the Manufacturer
Check Dealer Pricing On a New Pontiac G6!

GM's self-declared Excitement Division has been trying to find its pulse lately. Although the Firebird is gone and the Northstar-powered Bonneville GXP tanked, the new V-8-fortified Grand Prix is interesting, and the 400-horse GTO remains a Motor Trend favorite. For 2006, the G6 has begat a coupe, and it retains the sedan's 112.3-inch wheelbase in the name of more-than-occasional rear-seat head and legroom.
The G6 is available with the workaday 201-horse, 3.5-liter V-6 or a beefier 3.9-liter version good for 240 horsepower in GTP trim. The latter includes handsome 18-inch rolling stock, sportier suspension tuning, standard StabiliTrak, and the choice of a boring four-speed automatic or a more involving six-speed manual. Hydraulic power steering replaces the numbish electric steering on standard G6s.

People Who Like This Also Like http://static-cache.loomia.com/image...pe-oneline.gif

It all adds up to an attractive, pleasantly sporty coupe. If you didn't know this engine's an overhead valver, you'd think it's an overhead cammer: It's smooth, revs nicely, and has a wide powerband and a sweet exhaust note. Its 6.2-second 0-to-60 time isn't the stuff of legend, but enough to have fun. The six-speed shifter is notchy, but better than on many front drivers. This steering is much--no, way--improved over the electric unit, with adequate feel and virtually no torque steer. There's plenty of grip (0.83 g on our skidpad), making the GTP an entertaining handler, if not an all-out road racer. And this coupe easily seats four people in comfort.
The G6 GTP is an okay piece, has high equipment levels, and feels like a fair amount of car for the money. One question nags, however: Would you buy this over a 300-horse, V-8-powered, rear-drive Mustang GT for the same money ($27,570 as tested)? Didn't think so.

https://montecarloforum.com/archive/...Concept-lg.jpg
2006 Pontiac G6 GTPBase price$24,610Vehicle layout Front engine, FWD, 5-pass, 2-door coupeEngine 3.9L/240-hp/240 lb-ft OHV 12-valve V-6Transmission6-speed manualWheelbase112.3 inLength x Width x Height189.0 x 70.6 x 57.0 in0-60 mph 6.2 secQuarter Mile 14.4 @ 96.4EpPA City/Hwy Fuel Econ18/29 mpg On Sale In U.S. Currently

Space 08-16-2009 12:38 PM

<LI class="g s">G6 Pontiac GXP concept video - CNET TV

http://video.google.com/ThumbnailSer...TKS0Dq3EkcmXo= Sep 6, 2008
Watch G6 Pontiac GXP concept videos on CNET TV: Get a first look from the New York Auto Show floor at the sporty G6 Pontiac GXP concept car.
cnettv.cnet.com/g6-pontiac-gxp-concept/9742-1_53-18542.html

Frosty LS1 08-18-2009 12:04 AM

35PSI? What size are your tires? I think mine is the 215/60R16...not completely sure, but mine only call for 30PSI.