Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   I need better tires and brakes... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/i-need-better-tires-brakes-29925/)

Enzo354 07-31-2011 11:48 AM

I need better tires and brakes...

If I want to keep racing the 86.

I lined up against a gtp last night with headers and a 3.4 pulley. Remember I have a 383, built 3 speed, posi, and 275 street tires in back, The 275s did noting, neither did my back drum brakes haha.
He does his first honk and I bring it up to 1500 rpm. The wheels start spinning :/ So I launch from a dig, and of course, continue to spin. He got about 4-5 cars on me and then it stayed pretty even for the 1/4, he didnt pull on me, I didnt catch up :(

Budsjlm 07-31-2011 01:44 PM

Get your self a set of drag radial or find a set of extra rear fins and throw some slicks on them, as for brakes the tears don't do much anyways it's 40% rear 60% front if you do anything you should think about getting a big break kit for the front or just upgrade to the 12in

here are 2 articles i have booked marked
The Grim Reaper 1LE 12" brake Upgrade

Monte Carlo: 12" disc brake conversion

you may also want to upgrade from the single diaphram brake booster the MC'S have to a dual diagram B-body brake booster

red04montels 07-31-2011 09:35 PM

fwd conversion ftw!

Enzo354 07-31-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm (Post 347325)
Get your self a set of drag radial or find a set of extra rear fins and throw some slicks on them, as for brakes the tears don't do much anyways it's 40% rear 60% front if you do anything you should think about getting a big break kit for the front or just upgrade to the 12in

here are 2 articles i have booked marked
The Grim Reaper 1LE 12" brake Upgrade

Monte Carlo: 12" disc brake conversion

you may also want to upgrade from the single diaphram brake booster the MC'S have to a dual diagram B-body brake booster

I'm getting drag radials for sure. Ill look into the new brakes and booster, it sounds like they might help alot. Thanks man!

I still like fwd dont worry Mitch. As long as it isn't a 3.4. :P

TheMonteMan 08-04-2011 09:08 AM

it could also have a factory stall convertor in it. with 2500 or higher it shouldnt break them loose that soon. on the tire you dont really need a radial a good street tire should hold it. the hoosiers are pretty sticky same thing with the mickey thompson indy profiles. i have major problems hooking on the street as well but i wont start breaking loose till 2200 or so. practice makes perfect. i usually have to walk the car out the first 60 and reel them in once the car is planted.

ChibiBlackSheep 08-04-2011 09:13 AM

Needs moar power

Space 08-04-2011 09:15 AM

:rolleyes:...Great write `up Alex + advise...Also really like your Monte's : )
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/av...ine=1242883336https://montecarloforum.com/forum/av...ine=1242369389
=========================================
Hey EnZo `Brock,
We took `up a collection 2 help you buy tires & brakes :eek:
http://www.marshu.com/articles/image...bill-large.jpg
:rolleyes: (Copy & Print Out: )
Sorry, this is all that we could get & some member's even borrowed pennies to help you out :eek::rotfl:
Let us know what you get `OK~> Good Luck ~>"One Dollar is better then no Dollar @ all" : )

TheMonteMan 08-04-2011 09:19 AM

thanks space. the 80s moved on for now to my nephew. oh another thing if you do switch to radials i wonder if youre going to start running into wheel hop issues. i run slapper bars so ive never really run into it, but the gbodys are notorious for having issues launching. id look into doing some rear suspension work, once you figure out what convertors in there. then tires and then brakes. front brakes you can do tubular control arms, and then run the spindles, rotors, calipers, and pads from the second gen f body. i believe that theyre 11" where as the gbody is 9". i never toyed with the rear brakes cause i was waiting to swap in a dana 60 with explorer discs. i didnt feel it was worth while to continue throwing money at the 10 bolt.

Enzo354 08-04-2011 08:01 PM

Thanks for the money space. And I'm probably going with 555r's because people around here seem to have good luck with them. Rear suspension, I have hijacker air shocks in back as of now, so do I need to stiffen it up more, or leave it softer for launching?
Im going to call the previous owner to ask about the converter tomorrow hopefully.
I think for now if I get better tires I can skip the rear brakes unless there is an easier conversion. The front brakes don't bother me.

TheMonteMan 08-06-2011 06:52 AM

i would think that you would want the front stiff and the rear soft. i would ditch the high jackers and get a normal set of shocks and some decent springs. take out some tire pressure too. i used to run mine low in the 20s on the street. with the air shocks being real stiff im going to assume thats one of the problems. the gbodys have kind of a light ass end. stiff rear and a light ass it probably breaks them loose instantly. perhaps for starters take air out of the tires, take air out of the shocks, adjust the rear brakes, and, check your shoes. might help a little bit. i never really got mine to hook coming off of the convertor which is probably a good thing cause the one time it did it dynomited the factory rear end. i dont know if its a common problem with anyone elses, but mine used to launch crooked. from what ive seen of gbodys leaving the hole it seems to be common to twist when they leave. id also be surprised if once you get a decent tire out back that you dont wind up having all types of wheel hop issues with that rear suspension. dial it in a little first with what you have. id rather spin then have a pair of basketballs out back.