Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Exhaust leak for the win! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/exhaust-leak-win-35048/)

Overdose666 03-18-2012 11:53 PM

Exhaust leak for the win!

Today on my way home from a friends house, I was going down a fairly straight 3 lane road. I was speeding a little but not enough to be reckless. I noticed the same bright yellow Cobalt kept passing me and reving every chance he got. So at the next light I decided I'd play with him.

I have to go off topic for a moment, a few days ago I finally did something like the spark plug defouler method for my o2, but being a cheap b****** I just found a small pipe the right size and used a lot of JB weld to hold the o2 Far enough out, worked flawlessly until tonight.

Back to the story. At the next light me and him get ready. Turns green and tires start spinning, we stayed fairly even until i hit roughly 50mph when the JB weld on my exhaust failed, my o2 sensor fell out and the CEL came on. My car got a little bit more power from the lack of back pressure and probably 10x louder, windows were up and the stereo was fairly loud and all i could hear then was the car roaring. I immediately start putting room between us and once I hit 110 i backed down and called it a day with about 3 car lengths on him...

I really wonder what he was thinking during all this... It was a horrible ride home after that, even at 2000rpm the car was so loud it was making my ears ring lol.

Overdose666 03-18-2012 11:55 PM

Oh and kids, don't race on public roads, It's very dangerous and it makes you look like a jacka**

nicksterw75 03-19-2012 12:09 AM

yea, i know, whats gotta be fixed

Mr Grizzly Mint 03-19-2012 01:03 AM

Sounds awesome. So what your saying is Just remove my O2 sensor and leave the hole empty. Adds at least 25 hp and an additional 50hp from noise intimidation.

red04montels 03-19-2012 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by nicksterw75 (Post 437581)
yea, i know, whats gotta be fixed

me too, he stated it in the original post. :confused:

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint (Post 437587)
Sounds awesome. So what your saying is Just remove my O2 sensor and the the hole empty. Adds at least 25 hp and an additional 50hp from noise intimidation.

this is kinda what I thought lol, you shouldn't have really gained any HP from a leak in the exhaust, especially one the size of a dime.

03SSLE 03-19-2012 08:52 AM

I'm thinking that when your Monte became '10X louder' the guy in the Cobalt backed out of it (which is why you gained 3 car lengths) so that if there was a cop within shouting distance he wouldn't get nailed for racing.

Enzo354 03-19-2012 08:12 PM

True story, my 86 is on open headers and it eats LS1s.

01 Monte SS 03-19-2012 08:16 PM

I lost my entire catback system the other day so I kinda know what you mean haha! I couldn't stand it over 2k rpm lol... entire car was shaking. Sounds like yours is a little easier to fix though.

Maybe he thought you opened up an exhaust cutout :rotfl:

MONTE2000SS 03-19-2012 08:45 PM

that is awesome jb weld for exhuast cutout hahahahahahah....hoods looking better 01 monte ss..nice

Jomao_o 03-19-2012 09:04 PM

I love the comments on this thread, hahaha.