Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Embarrassing Loss, couldn't hook up (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/embarrassing-loss-couldnt-hook-up-17948/)

labnjab 01-06-2010 06:23 AM

Embarrassing Loss, couldn't hook up

I know most people talk about wins but I had to share this loss :eek: So last night I pulled up to the light next to a 95 mercury cougar 3.8 L (I know the car cause my boss sold it). After the light it was a 2 lane to 1 lane change. It was a young kid and he looked like he wanted to race. So the light turns green and I ease into the throttle for a few feet I had my snow tires on, although it was dry, then I floored it...and just light up both tires, so he starts pulling away. I go light on the throttle again till about 20 mph and floored it again cause I still had plenty of time to catch up and pass him. Again I just light up the tires. :mad:

He won and I was pissed, lol. But I know for a fact I would have blown his doors off no problem had I had my summer tires on. I think he knew too cause he flashed his flashers after he slowed down. My snows are narrow and only good in snow while my summers are wide and only good on dry road. Just shows how much torque this car has:D

Go ahead, laugh, lol

(Lab aka his woman~ I thought it was bad, makes me wonder... no need to be mad about losing big woop. Shouldnt be racing in the first place.)

MAMONTE 01-06-2010 08:10 AM

At least you can say that you would have blown his doors off if the conditions were correct! :)

MarkIV396 01-06-2010 08:32 AM

I would think if you were running your snow tires ( A gummie compound ) you would
be able to hook up better. I have a '65 Impala SS 425H.P. 396, and yeah - it's a
different ride - If I'm racing someone, I don't totally mash it at first - once I start
rolling --then I mash it! Otherwise, it goes sideways & just cooks the hides. Only way
It really hooks up is when I put my old MT drag slicks on!

Cowboy6622 01-06-2010 08:37 AM

Do'nt be so certain... I don't knwo what you boss did to the Cougar, but I can tell you that Ford made some good stuff, but the 3.8L V6 was not one of them. It ranks right up there with the V6 they put in the Mustang 2 back in 1974 in my book. Of course, alot of you figure everything Ford ever made was crap ;)

03SS/00GSE/93LX 01-06-2010 08:51 AM

I know most people talk about wins but I had to share this loss :eek: So last night I pulled up to the light next to a 95 mercury cougar 3.8 L (I know the car cause my boss sold it). After the light it was a 2 lane to 1 lane change. It was a young kid and he looked like he wanted to race. So the light turns green and I ease into the throttle for a few feet I had my snow tires on, although it was dry, then I floored it...and just light up both tires, so he starts pulling away. I go light on the throttle again till about 20 mph and floored it again cause I still had plenty of time to catch up and pass him. Again I just light up the tires. :mad:

He won and I was pissed, lol. But I know for a fact I would have blown his doors off no problem had I had my summer tireshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif on. I think he knew too cause he flashed his flashers after he slowed down. My snows are narrow and only good in snow while my summers are wide and only good on dry road. Just shows how much torque this car has:D

Go ahead, laugh, lol
It happens with our FWDs! Wait until there's some snow on the ground though, then smile as you easily glide up a hill that his Cougar can't take.

03SS/00GSE/93LX 01-06-2010 08:53 AM

Fordhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif made some good stuff, but the 3.8L V6 was not one of them.
The Ford 3.8L in the Thunderbird Super Coupe and Cougar XR7 was awesome. Eaton supercharged, 240ish HP/280ish torque back in the early 90s in a rear wheel driven comfort machine was a real nice package.

Cowboy6622 01-06-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX (Post 189097)
The Ford 3.8L in the Thunderbird Super Coupe and Cougar XR7 was awesome. Eaton supercharged, 240ish HP/280ish torque back in the early 90s in a rear wheel driven comfort machine was a real nice package.

Ah really? I was thinking it was the same engine that gave the V6 Mustang 190 hp from about 1999 to 2004.

MAMONTE 01-06-2010 09:21 AM

Yea the Mustang 3.8L sucked.

I am not a Ford guy AT ALL...but I do have to hand it to Ford for the 4.6L used in Mustangs. That engine is rock solid reliable, and works for so many applications (from sports car to truck (of course with different tuning, etc.)). My Dad has an 02 Stang GT with mods, it makes about 300HP, not the fastest car out there, but certainly pretty quick. Its been a great car in all honesty, it has NEVER had an major problems. The only somewhat problem it has is a retarded alarm that is phsyco and does what it wants, and the dome light sucks too...otherwise its a very strong and healthy car.

Now, that said, Chevy rocks, and Ford sucks...LOL...LOL...LOL. Just Kidding! :)

ChibiBlackSheep 01-06-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE (Post 189104)
...but I do have to hand it to Ford for the 4.6L used in Mustangs.

Are you sure you wanna give props to that? The 3 / 4V yes, but the 2v...

MAMONTE 01-06-2010 09:45 AM

I can't say anthing bad about it. Its been a really good engine in my Dad's case. 100K, and runs as good as new, ZERO problems. I guess time will tell how good it really is, because he's looking to get another 5 years out of that car, so thats about another 75K.