Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   Bracket racing anyone (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/bracket-racing-anyone-12100/)

alabamamonte 02-08-2009 11:45 AM

Bracket racing anyone

Does anybody on here bracket race?

I went and saw it last night and i might be hooked. I use to think my car was only good to go from point a to b and bringing it to the track would be a joke. But apparently there is a guy with a late 90's model 2 door cavalier who wins a good bit of money bracket racing.. THis was on an 1/8 mile track and his predicted time was like 12 to 13 seconds every time but last night he made it to the top ten out of 70 cars!! Most the other guys were running in older muscle cars and running 5 to 6 second 1/8ths and of the ones i talked to had an average of 25 grand in their cars.. while the guy with the cavalier had like a grand in his. They say that he's had 2 or 3 over the years.. lol

Cowboy6622 02-08-2009 11:50 AM

RE: Bracket racing anyone

yeap... its fun, and those street cars are much more consistant and more likely to win!

i wasn't there, but my dad was at a drag strip one night in the 80's where a girl who's dad ran a car dealer always brought a car to the strip to race. she made it to the final 2 that night against a top fuel dragster with a Dodge Dart 4 door with a slant 6, automatic transmission. she lost, but not by much.

86Ls 02-09-2009 10:57 PM

I figured I would chime in on this one.
O.K. so I think everyone knows the concept of bracket racing. (dial your time, run your time). The whole idea was brought up because of all these $100,000 plus racing operations coming out and cleaning up all the local low budget racers. In bracket racing, your not so much racing the guy next to you, but racing the clock. From being down the track a few times, it's all in the starting line. I cant tell you how many time kids can run dead on the dial, but get kicked at the tree and the race is over! This form of drag racing, IMO bring out the best in a racer. Anyone can go buy the best of it all and out run anyone, not saying that an outlaw class is easy by any means. When it comes down to bracket racing, you have to be perfect at the little things. If you miss a shift, your gone. If you get a bad light or the dreaded red light, your gone.
It's sad to see all these local drag strips closing down around here in the midwest.
I hope you find an interest in bracket racing, its become a lost art due to no more places to race.
Get out there and have some fun!!!

86Ls 02-10-2009 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

yeap... its fun, and those street cars are much more consistant and more likely to win!

i wasn't there, but my dad was at a drag strip one night in the 80's where a girl who's dad ran a car dealer always brought a car to the strip to race. she made it to the final 2 that night against a top fuel dragster with a Dodge Dart 4 door with a slant 6, automatic transmission. she lost, but not by much.
Let me get this straight, so back in the 80's they let some guy in a dealer car race aganist a 4 - 5 second TOP FUEL dragster? Wow they must get alot of big racers to come race their bracket program.

Cowboy6622 02-10-2009 03:34 PM

i wrote that in a hurry.... i think he said it was one of your rail dragsters.... sorry :( i know it was many seconds faster than the dart it was running agaisnt.

86Ls 02-11-2009 02:41 PM

Ok thats more like it. Most likely a Super Pro/ Comp racers stepping down to get some extra cash from the footbrake guys.

alabamamonte 02-12-2009 10:40 PM

yea the guy in the cavalier was racing and beating rails. im sure they werent top fuel dragsters but still they were rails

76MonteMan 02-16-2009 11:19 AM

I frequently bracket race with my car club Portland Club Grand Prix. Its fun. My first year bracket racing with the club I was in first practically all year until the final race of the season. I took 3rd. Second year I sucked. Last year I did better and it came down to the second to last race, but was taken out in the second round.

86Ls 02-18-2009 09:38 PM

Well while we are on the topic of bracket racing finishes.. I can proudly say I finally one my first championship this year in the age group bracket. Just got my jacket yesterday, thats what made me think of it.
Ok off my stand..