Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale/Trade Classifieds (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-18/)
-   -   Junk/Scrapping Question (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-18/junk-scrapping-question-57276/)

vindicator 10-21-2016 03:37 PM

Junk/Scrapping Question In Iowa

I have a 1995 Z34 with 71,000 miles on it and that is because I rarely drive it.
I've had to get the rusted brake lines repaired twice and I cracked the rusted coolant line when I replaced the noisy AC compressor with a bypass, so I had that repaired as well.
Now, the transmission line is rusted and leaking.

With all of these expenses popping up, I can't justify keeping my car based on my (non) driving habit/frequency.
If I end up driving once a year, I could rent a car for several days and still come out better than owning a car (even without making repairs).

I looked at IDOT's site about selling/junking and saw a pdf of a list of vehicle recyclers and walked through some, getting estimates. Oh, I also got a couple of suggestions from the auto repair shop where I had my car worked on.

The first couple of places quoted $75-$130 (over the phone) depending on if I drove it there or not. They ONLY cared about the age of the car and not the mileage or repairs done.
Another place suggested I check with the metal recycler and they said $40/ton.

The best place so far quoted $300, and that was after they actually came out to look at it.

Now I'm NOT expecting anything close to KBB. It's got dimples from hail, and that transmission line leaks (not intending on repairing it), and the anti-lock light is always on, probably due to a speed sensor somewhere. ABS does still work (if there's any relation to that sensor) since it would sometimes happen when my brake lines went bad.

The guy who said $300 was just concerned that it sits for so long. I did start and run the car for him. It started rough as it normally does when it sits due to the goopy gas, but it cleared up after running it for a little bit.

Do you think that is reasonable or am I being really low-balled? I figure that if the transmission line were repaired, you'd have a decent car with low mileage. You just need to be a normal driver, not one who lets it sit for months at a time.

Thoughts (anything)? Feel free to let her rip.

EDIT 0:
Maybe there's an Iowa program? How we got paid $1,500 for a car we were going to scrap - Six Figures Under

P343 10-21-2016 04:32 PM

Hopefully someone close to you on here would be interested in making this car their own and making the repairs.
If you don't drive much at all, it does not really justify putting work into a car you will not drive. Hopefully you can find a good home for you car and someone can enjoy having a Monte Carlo.

bumpin96monte 11-11-2016 04:37 PM

Have you tried Craigslist? Just be honest about the issues and maybe you find a mechanic or someone who will pick it up as a beater given the really low mileage.

drivernumber3 11-11-2016 06:57 PM

List it on Craigs list and start about $650.00 and it will probably go fairly quick. :thumbsup:

solaris_vii 11-28-2016 07:02 PM

where are you located? do you have pics? if local i may be interested in buying outright