Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Wanting To Replace Stock Headlights (NEED HELP!) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/wanting-replace-stock-headlights-need-help-57137/)

LeechHax 09-27-2016 11:59 PM

Wanting To Replace Stock Headlights (NEED HELP!)

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. I want to replace the 9006 Low Beam bulbs with something blue. Whether it's LED, Halogen, or what have you. The problem is I already ordered an HID conversion kit so I can finally have the blue headlights I've always wanted, however, I asked a guy I know if he can help me install them because he knows a lot about cars (and the HID kit requires you use ballasts which I have no idea how to set up). Unfortunately, he doesn't know how to hook them either! So I'm going to return them and get something different.

The reason I am on this forum is because I want to know if there are good brands of bulbs that are a decent blue color, and will last me a long time. If any of you can help me I will appreciate it! I am looking for these qualities:

- a deep blue color (obviously)

- bulbs that will last for years and not burn out

- bulbs that will not get hot enough to melt the wiring

and most importantly

- bulbs that don't require ballasts

drivernumber3 09-28-2016 05:29 AM

There is always youtube that you can check I usually try that to see if someone has posted a video on it. Sometimes I get lucky? just a thought.:thumbsup:

ChibiBlackSheep 09-28-2016 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by LeechHax (Post 695762)
- a deep blue color (obviously)

- bulbs that will last for years and not burn out

- bulbs that will not get hot enough to melt the wiring

and most importantly

- bulbs that don't require ballasts

You have a lot of wants for a halogen bulb, you will need to compromise in a lot of places if you stay standard halogens.

I would honestly just look at the GE Nitehawk or the Silvania Silverstars. They are the brighter spectrum of halogen bulbs, but obviously with the higher output, the filaments won't last as long.

I wouldn't recommend switching to LED since your housing is made to reflect halogens.

shawn parker 10-06-2016 06:01 PM

When I was at Auto Zone their display of bulbs was laid out with 4 price points, highest to lowest (standard replacement) on the bottom. It had a sign showing the color comparisons, at the time I just wanted brighter so went one down from top, the salesman mentioned the police buy the top one. I have noticed that the police cars do have the blue led look
Sorry, I don't remember what brand or line was on top.

Leprechaun93 10-06-2016 08:35 PM

If you want a deep blue, pretty much your only option is HID's

nitehawkjcb 10-06-2016 10:16 PM

Only way to get neat colors is with HIDs. Most HID kits come with instructions, it's pretty straightforward. The ballast needs power (some people get power when keyed on from the fusebox in the engine bay), other than that it's just plugging in the factory harness and mounting the bulbs IIRC.

Honestly, I'd just get some Sylvania Silverstars and black headlight housings, then call it a day.