Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Rear spoiler swap. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/rear-spoiler-swap-40829/)

Tom02SS 01-13-2013 01:52 AM

Rear spoiler swap.

Can anyone tell if it is any problem swapping out the rear spoiler on my 02 SS with the upswept Nascar style? I was wondering if the bolt holes were the same before I purchase one.

michaelwells86 02-19-2013 10:56 PM

the bolt holes are not the same. i just got mine in today. you will need to fill the old holes and drill new ones.

red04montels 02-19-2013 11:18 PM

The 06/07 will be the same, but the 00-05 is completely different. You will have to fill the holes and repaint unless you go a different route. Then you'll also have to drill new holes for the new spoiler.

You may want to look into a whole new trunk lid with that spoiler, if you're lucky i'm sure you can get one your color for around $100 at the yard

The_Maniac 02-20-2013 09:44 PM

I swapped the surf board spoiler on my '04 with an 06/07 vertical spoiler. Same bolt pattern, but it does not cover the same surface area (therefore you will need to get the spoiler painted and the trunk lid).

ChibiBlackSheep 02-21-2013 07:52 AM

I posted on a whole thread on this when I made my switch:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pa...er-faqs-31517/

^Click that link

06mistreSS 02-21-2013 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 529740)
I swapped the surf board spoiler on my '04 with an 06/07 vertical spoiler. Same bolt pattern, but it does not cover the same surface area (therefore you will need to get the spoiler painted and the trunk lid).

Shouldn't the trunk lid already have paint where the spoiler covers?

Actually the 06/07 spoiler conversion would look nice, as it does on Maniac's. If you decide on that, and it's possible to find one in your car's same color, then no painting should be necessary, just cleanup and such. The colors available between model years 00-05 and 06/07 changed a little bit so it depends on your car and what's available. The spoiler will probably be a hard one to find.

If you do go with an 00-05 standup spoiler I'd also recommend getting the whole trunk lid as well.

red04montels 02-21-2013 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 529819)

Actually the 06/07 spoiler conversion would look nice, as it does on Maniac's. If you decide on that, and it's possible to find one in your car's same color, then no painting should be necessary, just cleanup and such. The colors available between model years 00-05 and 06/07 changed a little bit so it depends on your car and what's available. The spoiler will probably be a hard one to find.

If you do go with an 00-05 standup spoiler I'd also recommend getting the whole trunk lid as well.

It has a tendency to rub so it takes some paint off unfortunately.

ChibiBlackSheep 02-21-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 529871)
It has a tendency to rub so it takes some paint off unfortunately.

I have pictures showing that the surfboard extends JUST a touch beyond what the stand-up does, and how it wears at the paint.

The_Maniac 02-21-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 529819)

The surfboard covers more of the turnk then the 06/07 vertical spoiler. GM did not do much to account for "friction". In my case and Chibi's case, our surfboards rubbed away the paint where they rest on the trunk lid. When you put the new 06/07 vertical spoiler down, you then end with an issue of small exposed surfaces that are primer or bare metal due to the friction (Chibi has pics of the issue).