Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Rattle canning for a two-tone look

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm confident I can lay the paint down nicely, i am still worried however, about how well it will hold up.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM

im with kidspace. i would wait and save up to have it professionally done. you can cut down the expense by prepping the car yourself and have the shop mask and paint it in a dust free enviroment with the proper materials..

if you really do wanna handel it yourself you'll def want to buy some adhesion permoter for the bumpers if you happen to break the paint down to bare plastic. find a garage and be sure to soak the floor down to minimize dust.

do not use newspaper to mask!! specialy when doing a two-tone. Newspaper will allow the paint to bleed through. buy the stuff the pros use (Wax coated paper). also buy some fine-line masking tape (blue)..it will not leave as big of a paint edge as compared to regular masking tape. oh yeah, buy a tack cloth and use it between coats

Old 05-03-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steven73
I was thinking of painting my lip kit on my SS. and i still am. I found the blue i want and have my paint gun already.Just have to purchase my primer and paint/clear coat.

Just wondering if anyone know exaclly how the lip kit comes off the 05 ss's. i dont want to tape up car thinking would be just soo much easyer taking the kit off and painting it and if i have to drive i can still drive my car.
to take off the front ground effect you will have to remove the bumper. the lips is held on with 5 8 or 10 mil bolts(i think) underneath and a series of tabs and retainer clips that go through the bumper and attach behind it to hold the top in place.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:55 AM

yeah. just have it done professionally. they have spare paints in all factory colors layin around and wouldnt charge much for the work. u will thank your self down the road. just go to an auto body shop and tell them that your kinda hard up for cash but ask if they maye had some spare colors of your choice layin around and explain what your tryn to get done, and im sure they would be more than happy to help u bro