Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Painting spoiler (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/painting-spoiler-53174/)

Griffindor 05-11-2015 01:37 AM

Painting spoiler

I've never done any kind of painting but I figured I'd give it a try. Picked up a 3 piece NASCAR styler spoiler for my Monte a few years back in a junk yard. The spoiler is red and my Monte is white. It came of another Monte so it's the right kind. I have two questions. First white type of material is this spoiler and does it require a certain type of paint or can I use the stock "touch up primer and paint I bought from the dealership a while back?" Lastly I also am anal about it so I'm going to paint the underside of the spoiler the too. Leaving it red would bother me but I was wondering how do I do that? Paint the top and let it dry and then just flip the spoiler over or just totally finish the top then start the other side? Or do I just get underneath the spoiler and paint it? I just don't want the paint to run or drip somehow. I plan on sitting it on top of carpenter work stands... One on each end.

Griffindor 05-11-2015 01:38 AM

I plan on following the steps in this write up. You may have to join for the pictures to work.

DIY: How to paint your own wing/spoiler! (spraycan)

Wetsanding and Polishing

Griffindor 05-11-2015 01:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is basically the exact spoiler I found.

drivernumber3 05-11-2015 08:46 PM

I have done this before, and had fairly good results. I have a compressor and a top feed touch up paint gun.
The unit I got I purchased from RK sport, First I sanded it to get the imperfections out of it. Then I applied primer, I used a sand able Automotive primer, sanded and primered anything I missed. Once I did that I applied the paint. I used base coat clear coat. The car this went on was red. Reducers are something that will be needed this is like a thinner.
The viscosity of the paint should be like milk. You may need to paint several coats to get it covered properly. Be patient when you do this for best results.
Lastly you need to apply the clear coat. One thing I did is went to my local body shop and asked if they would clear it for me the next time they do a clear job. that way I didn't have to worry about the dust and stuff on the clear. You can then color sand it with a 600, 800, 1000 grit paper, to make it smooth. I would probably do the underside first. before you do make yourself a pattern of each piece so you can tape that to the Car and make sure the thing is going to fit properly. When you do the 3 piece you need to be very carful so the spacing is right. between the trunk and the rear quarters.
I taped them on where I wanted them and then used a dark grease pencil to mark the car. Then you can put the paper pattern you cut out over that and make it work. The sides may have 3 fasteners each.
Another thing to do is go to Youtube and view several videos on painting to get the visual tips that will help complete the project.
:thumbsup:
A tip do not purchase your paint at the Napa store the red was horrible for coverage.