Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   painting my engine cover? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/painting-my-engine-cover-46536/)

dgm 01-10-2014 08:47 PM

painting my engine cover?

My monte is white with red checker design - i saw someone who did a white,red and black cover. Does it hold up any suggestions?

matthewboyleZ34 01-10-2014 09:57 PM

Check out hydrographics. All you need is a vat of water, the vinyl design of your choice, aerosol activator, and the part you want the design on. The vinyl design is cut to the correct size and floats on the water. After the aerosol activator is applied to the vinyl it gels and when the part is dipped in the pattern is perfectly transferred to it. You can do any design they have a pattern for. I think red carbon fiber would look good for your project because carbon fiber has a checkered look to it anyways.

Crusader SS 01-11-2014 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or you could paint it... They hold up... Here's mine... Good luck... Let us know what you go with...

matthewboyleZ34 01-11-2014 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS (Post 589713)
Or you could paint it... They hold up... Here's mine... Good luck... Let us know what you go with...

Wow you did a great job on that!

Crusader SS 01-11-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by matthewboyleZ34 (Post 589782)
Wow you did a great job on that!

Thanks. By the way, sweet looking Monte... :thumbsup:

matthewboyleZ34 01-11-2014 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS (Post 589801)
Thanks. By the way, sweet looking Monte... :thumbsup:

As is yours... Mine is still a WIP and the pic is the final look I'm going for. It's kinda like how Chip Foose does a rendering and builds to it. If you don't know where you want to end up, it's hard to get there...

Crusader SS 01-11-2014 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by matthewboyleZ34 (Post 589811)
As is yours... Mine is still a WIP and the pic is the final look I'm going for. It's kinda like how Chip Foose does a rendering and builds to it. If you don't know where you want to end up, it's hard to get there...

Makes sense... Good luck with the transformation...:thumbsup:

dgm 01-11-2014 03:55 PM

thanks

thanks for the replies - i loved the way yours came out crusader ss .... did you use high heat paint gloss white and then clear coat it? what did you use for the red- touch up pen?

Crusader SS 01-12-2014 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dgm (Post 589825)
thanks for the replies - i loved the way yours came out crusader ss .... did you use high heat paint gloss white and then clear coat it? what did you use for the red- touch up pen?

Thanks... I had the the cover painted at the same time as the car a few months ago... They used the same paint as the car I believe... The red is a decal set you can order for the cover... They actually have a few colours to pick from... I believe I ordered it from PFYC... The Emblem is from a Corvette... :thumbsup:

BrandonStebing 01-14-2014 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS (Post 589713)

Holy **** where did you get that oil cap <3 !