Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint

Okay I plan to paint the hood and mount a hood scoop on it and I am looking for a few paint scheme ideas, Photo's would be good something you have seen at a car show?
I plan to keep the Hood Black but would like to put some small geometric stripe or ribbon on it too. It is always interesting to see some ideas that will be an inspiration to make a unique and one of a kind design.
Hopefully I can post a photo or 2 of what the hood and scoop look like now.

So I rescued this Hood from a Monte at the U Pull it. no rust no dents that are to big. Should be a fun project. If I goof I can go and fetch another hood.

Then I plan to take this Hood Scoop from a 1979/80 Z/28 Camaro and mount it on the hood I am going to cut it shorter than it is now most likely at least 12 inches shorter.
It will then Bolt on and I will slope the entrance of the scoop at an angle, then under side will need to be filled and sanded around the grooved edge and when all done blended into the hood, and painted Black to look like a factory styled hood. Wish me luck!!

Attached Thumbnails Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-img_0577.jpg   Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-img_0579.jpg   Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-img_0580.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 07-22-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool project and idea!!! Not too often someone does a mod that custom with a 5th gen anymore.
I hope it goes to plan. 🙂

Old 07-23-2017, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

I have had that Hood Scoop for about 9 or 10 years now and did a little research and planning. The original plan was to leave it the length that it is and mount it on the hood. However it is just too long for the Hood, and the hood is to curvy compared to the Camaro Hood of the 79/80 circa.
So the Plan is to cut it just about 12 inches from the tip.
Then I need to cut a hole in the hood to accept the scoop area, just a cosmetic thing non functional. The scoop is from a stock 79 Camaro there is a groove on the base of the scoop that needs to be leveled flat flush. I will do that with the Fiberglass resin. Shortening the scoop will make it look very similar to the 6th Gen aftermarket hoods with Scoop.
Once that is complete I will paint it Black and then I want to do a little custom painting on it, most likely ribbons, bands, small narrow stripe or something to that effect, might even do a small GM sign like the one Dale Sr. had on the 3 car in 99 when he spun the 5 car accidentally, at the end of the Race at Bristol.
But I can't do to much right now the humidity is too high for sure.

I attached a photo of the 99 #3 Car has the sign on the hood, The version I am thinking of would be a quarter that size, and maybe in a Dark Bronze or Gray no Blues, maybe Reds and Silver? will need to draft it out on paper.

Attached Thumbnails Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-95_3.jpg  
Old 08-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ha, your a genius, you are on to something. Pretty cool find from a boneyard. Amusing you have had it all these years and still have kept the Monte too. Good things come to those who wait. This hood scoop mod will I suspect be pretty damn awesome, looking to be a real head turner bringing people in to the cars perimeter and into range for the kill shot. The kill shot being your one of the kind interior, I can hear the oooh's and ahhh's now. I think you are Dale, part of his essence passed into you when you both shook hands and locked eyes.

The hood graphic in your photo would make for a pretty sweet iconic effect. Your 5th generation Monte is from the heyday of the Dale Sr. enthusiastic crowds. Bet those supporters when they see your Monte decked out like this either on the road, car shows, parking lots will want to come over and chew the fat with you.

Going to take a minute like you allude to, to mount the scoop, a fair amount of customization to cut, seal the cut off end, mount, blend in the seams, paint and then add the graphics. But Drivernumber3 when it is all done and cherry looking it will be sic as all hell.

You are a madman for sure, just the way a Monte owner needs to be.
Awesome !!

Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Ha, your a genius, you are on to something. Pretty cool find from a boneyard. Amusing you have had it all these years and still have kept the Monte too. Good things come to those who wait. This hood scoop mod will I suspect be pretty damn awesome, looking to be a real head turner bringing people in to the cars perimeter and into range for the kill shot. The kill shot being your one of the kind interior, I can hear the oooh's and ahhh's now. I think you are Dale, part of his essence passed into you when you both shook hands and locked eyes.

The hood graphic in your photo would make for a pretty sweet iconic effect. Your 5th generation Monte is from the heyday of the Dale Sr. enthusiastic crowds. Bet those supporters when they see your Monte decked out like this either on the road, car shows, parking lots will want to come over and chew the fat with you.

Going to take a minute like you allude to, to mount the scoop, a fair amount of customization to cut, seal the cut off end, mount, blend in the seams, paint and then add the graphics. But Drivernumber3 when it is all done and cherry looking it will be sic as all hell.

You are a madman for sure, just the way a Monte owner needs to be.
Awesome !!
Well that could be??!?! Yesterday Saturday there was a Car show that last year I won Best of show. This time Zero. But they let the crowd vote for the winners and some of the guys brought all there supporters with, and the spacing was terrible as well about 50 entires and there were several Cars that came late after the 10:30 deadline and they got some awards. Nice cars for sure I was up against fancy painted hotrods and all, but it was free, and they gave us free food too...... So I can't grumble to much. I need to find my Fan Club and get them to surround my car and that may help

Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

I sill need to shorten the Scoop most likely need to build a jig to make sure I get a good cut, It will need to be at an Angle I am thinking between 45 and 70 degrees, then I need to cut a hole in the Hood too to allow clearance for the scoop opening it should bolt on after that. 3M tape should hold it down. & then some custom paint which I can Airbrush on, I have 3 binks airbrushes and that should help with the shading I may need to do? I am still looking for some ideas for the paint.

If I do the sign thing it will be smaller than the original and I will have to use some decals for the letters.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Question

Labor day weekend and I finally got a little time to work on the Hood after the Grandkids left. Just picking up after them is a full time job.
Anyway I got the hood up on some saw horses and laid out the center of the hood and the scoop.
Plotted the holes that needed to be drilled and now I will need to cut a small section in the center to allow for the actual scoop to lay flush.
The one thing that I didn't count on was how quickly I would break a drill bit.
Maybe those ones I got at Harbor Freight aren't the best choice??
I will need to find a larger drill bit for the standard Hole that the scoop has this shoulder around the bolt stud that needs to be counter sunk.

Kind of the test fit Phase on this project .

Looking down the center.

The wife is wanting to was the Windows so I have them in the Garage also.

Attached Thumbnails Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-img_0673.jpg   Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-img_0675.jpg   Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-img_0674.jpg   Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint-img_0676.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, that's one big project, but so far so good! The Camaro SS scoop looks so good on the 5th gens!

Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice, I'm watching...

Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

That is going to look so cool
I may have to copy, if ever restore the Monte budget I just spent

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: Painting the Hood and Scoop looking for ideas on paint