Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Painting Chrome-Plated Plastic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/painting-chrome-plated-plastic-60321/)

06mistreSS 11-12-2018 10:11 AM

Painting Chrome-Plated Plastic

Looking for good recommendations and any tried-and-true methods for prepping chrome-plated plastic for paint and/or a good primer and paint products to use on chrome-plated plastic. Last time I tried, the chrome plate was like sanding ice and would not take the sandpaper very well. The goal is to avoid premature peeling and chipping.

drivernumber3 11-12-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 714912)
Looking for good recommendations and any tried-and-true methods for prepping chrome-plated plastic for paint and/or a good primer and paint products to use on chrome-plated plastic. Last time I tried, the chrome plate was like sanding ice and would not take the sandpaper very well. The goal is to avoid premature peeling and chipping.

I used the Red Chrome paint on mine once. Did the trim around the lower part of the Car it had that look of Red Chrome after that. But that was a Metal paint that I got at Auto Zone. I think I have seen it in Blue, Purple, Red, Green and a Black of all things too. Probably not what you are planning to do but it worked for me. Surface prep was just a cleaner, after paint thinner.

bumpin96monte 11-12-2018 06:51 PM

Peeling / chipping of paint over plastic chrome is common. IMO it's always attributed to poor prep.

The most through approach would be to sand the chrome off to get it to base plastic. Leave the plastic a bit rough and use a quality plastic primer, followed by your paint.

IMO that's a bit overkill unless the part needs to really stand up to rough conditions (lots of flex or a spot at the front of the car where it will get hit with debris). If not for either of those conditions, I'd sand it down enough to get rid of the mirror shine, leave it a bit rough to add mechanical grip and then prime it.

If it's hard to sand, have you tried going to wet sanding? I'd probably start with 600 grit wet and relatively high pressure just to get into that top surface.

06mistreSS 11-13-2018 06:31 AM

I'm toying around with the idea of painting the front upper grill trim black. I would need it to adhere well so it doesn't chip easily - I don't want it to turn into touch up galore in 2, 3+ years. I had the dealership that did my front end repaint in 2012 also paint the fog light bezels black and I like how those look. Obviously being a body shop they were able to prep properly.

bumpin96monte 11-13-2018 04:02 PM

In addition to good prep, I'd also strongly suggest a top coat (be that gloss, clear, satin) on the front end. It'll add a bit more protection to damage from debris.

06mistreSS 11-14-2018 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 714932)
In addition to good prep, I'd also strongly suggest a top coat (be that gloss, clear, satin) on the front end. It'll add a bit more protection to damage from debris.

Oh yeah, trust me, that'll happen if I do. I shot a couple coats of clear over the Niteshade when I smoked my back-up lights a while back. That added protection helps a lot and paint tends to fade significantly faster without clear on it.