Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Painting Brake Calipers (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/painting-brake-calipers-19605/)

red04montels 03-24-2010 08:03 PM

Painting Brake Calipers

Okay, so i have next week off, at least two days to where i wouldnt need my car, what i want to do is paint my calipers, now that you can see them a little better through the rims. What would be the best way to do this? High temp paint? or get one of those actual cheap looking caliper painting kits? lol.

any help is great. thanks

wht02monte 03-24-2010 08:09 PM

ive always heard that hi-temp paint is better than caliper paint, its basically the same thing just something more is in it to withstand heat(so ive heard) and i would definatly do a couple coats of clear coat.

saigashooter 03-24-2010 08:11 PM

I used duplicolor caliper paint on mine, and it may just be bad luck, but it didn't hold up. looked great during the fall. The Wisconsin winter on the other hand was brutal on the paint.

I think it may have been the heat cool cycle was faster than fall, but the paint began to flake off, and now I have rusty calipers.

I received my G2 paint kit today, and will be applying it this weekend to a set of non-rusty calipers. I've heard good things about the G2 kit.

wht02monte 03-24-2010 08:22 PM

hey if youve heard good things about it id like to know how it works, but again i would not reccomend caliper paint, google it or something cause ive seen some nasty looking calipers before

Frosty LS1 03-24-2010 09:37 PM

I'm glad this thread was started. I've been wanting to do the same thing to my car for awhile.

Any idea on how much the hi-temp paint costs? I suppose it's recommended you remove the wheel when you're doing this job, correct? Thanks.

monte carlo 3831 03-24-2010 09:43 PM

powder coat the calipers!!!!

mak330 03-24-2010 09:44 PM

about 10 dollars.

ive heard that g2 makes a great product. i think its a 2 step epoxy.

yours probly rusted casue you forgot to prime.

actually take the calipers off, sand down with some ebony paper, prime. let dry, then two thin layers of high temp paint should be fine. ive never heard of putting clear on there, but whatever floats your boat.

thin layers last longer then 1 thick one.

i think i might paint mine like a red metallic. if they make high temo paint that color. then do the 6 bowties on the bumper,grille, and center caps.

GL

red04montels 03-24-2010 09:54 PM

do you have a link to an example of ebony paper? i would like to start this probably sunday night through to monday. and is the removal of the calipers themselves relatively easy?

mak330 03-24-2010 10:04 PM

yes its easy, now putting them back on requires bleeding the breaks. please dont forget.

umm powder coating is the best way, but its hard to find a shop with a 1 day turn around. maybe call in advance. do you get off every weekend??? next week i get a 3 day weekend. if so dont rush it or you'll end up with rusty calipers.

any sandpaper will do, ebony paper just makes it faster. use a degreaser b4 painting.

red04montels 03-24-2010 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by mak330 (Post 211815)
yes its easy, now putting them back on requires bleeding the breaks. please dont forget.

umm powder coating is the best way, but its hard to find a shop with a 1 day turn around. maybe call in advance. do you get off every weekend??? next week i get a 3 day weekend. if so dont rush it or you'll end up with rusty calipers.

any sandpaper will do, ebony paper just makes it faster. use a degreaser b4 painting.

how do i bleed the brakes? i need a bleeder i would assume lol, what happens if i dont bleed the brakes? ive seen people at school do it before without bleeding brakes and there was no negative outcome