Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinions on aftermarket fiberglass kit (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/opinions-aftermarket-fiberglass-kit-58640/)

Keudn 07-21-2017 11:39 PM

Opinions on aftermarket fiberglass kit

I am toying with the idea of installing a body kit on my 05 SS and I want to hear everyone's opinion on aftermarket fiberglass kits. Specifically I would install the Duraflex Racer kit front and side skirts and the Vision Autodynamics F1 rear skirt.

I talked to my local body shop today and they quoted me on about $1500-$1800 to paint, fit and install the kit and the guy basically said thats a lot of money for a cheap fiberglass kit that will maybe look $200 better not $1500 and that I'd end up wanting the factory body work back on. Since I know some of you have installed kits like this in the past, what is your opinion?

drivernumber3 07-22-2017 08:18 AM

Good choice

4 Attachment(s)
Wow, that is just one mans opinion I think.:wtf::confused:

Your body man may not be a fan of the 6th Gen Monte Carlo.:nono:

But the choice you have made is very good I uploaded a few shots of similar Montes with these ground effects on them.:cool:

On the 5th gen that I have I got a great deal on a new body kit and a friend of mine was a body man and painted them up all it cost me was the paint and materials, then we installed them and it changed the whole appearance of the car. :cool::cool::cool:
I took the emblems off of it and when I take it to a car show it gets a bit of attention because it is a slight mystery to some of what it is.:wtf::rolleyes:
Avoid the one that is on the Silver Car I attached, it's too cheezy. Back in the 70's if you couldn't afford a Mag Wheel you took off the Hub cap and ran them All Black wheels, today they have tons of Black wheels on Cars and I can't get into them at all. They were in my day a poor boys wheel??:rotfl::o:nono:
The ground effects/body kit will enhance the appearance of the car. I think you made a great choice for sure.:congrats:
It's kind of like seeing a beautiful woman in a curve hugging dress, you will stare because she is Hot! I think the same applies to the car. It's an eye candy thing. :congrats:
Good choice as far as I am concerned!!:thumbsup:

Keudn 07-22-2017 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 704915)
Wow, that is just one mans opinion I think.:wtf::confused:

Your body man may not be a fan of the 6th Gen Monte Carlo.:nono:

But the choice you have made is very good I uploaded a few shots of similar Montes with these ground effects on them.:cool:

On the 5th gen that I have I got a great deal on a new body kit and a friend of mine was a body man and painted them up all it cost me was the paint and materials, then we installed them and it changed the whole appearance of the car. :cool::cool::cool:
I took the emblems off of it and when I take it to a car show it gets a bit of attention because it is a slight mystery to some of what it is.:wtf::rolleyes:
Avoid the one that is on the Silver Car I attached, it's too cheezy. Back in the 70's if you couldn't afford a Mag Wheel you took off the Hub cap and ran them All Black wheels, today they have tons of Black wheels on Cars and I can't get into them at all. They were in my day a poor boys wheel??:rotfl::o:nono:
The ground effects/body kit will enhance the appearance of the car. I think you made a great choice for sure.:congrats:
It's kind of like seeing a beautiful woman in a curve hugging dress, you will stare because she is Hot! I think the same applies to the car. It's an eye candy thing. :congrats:
Good choice as far as I am concerned!!:thumbsup:

My question is, is it worth the money, and was my quote overpriced for the work? I don't really know if $1800 plus the parts themselves are worth it and I've heard bad things about the quality of duraflex body kits

drivernumber3 07-22-2017 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn (Post 704925)
My question is, is it worth the money, and was my quote overpriced for the work? I don't really know if $1800 plus the parts themselves are worth it and I've heard bad things about the quality of duraflex body kits

$1800.00 seems a bit expensive I would think that about $600.00 to 700.00 might be a good quote. I am not sure where you are from but location is a factor also.
Fiber glass is a bit of a pain to work with and this could be the reason the bid is more and the comment about it making it only look $200.00 better is a clue, that he doesn't want to mess with it. When the kit comes? you need to test fit it. then you need to sand the components a little bit and fill any imperfections. Then Prime it followed by the Paint,( 3 to 5 coats depending on the color you are going to use? Reds and oranges take a few more coats to cover. Blacks and Silvers are mire forgiving) and finally the clear coat.

So you may want to get more bids. You may want to check the link I have provided razzi is known for quality. The product will set your car out to be just a bit hotter of a look than the average one.
https://www.razzi.com/online-catalog...t/monte-carlo/

The ones I have are RK Sport brand they only make a 5th gen kit but many other rides are available. The experience I had was everything mounted right up with very little issues to trim or adjust, 3M tape and a few screws took about 2 hours but we were having a few beers doing it too. Probably been on since 2004 on mine and I love it.

Keudn 07-22-2017 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 704927)
$1800.00 seems a bit expensive I would think that about $600.00 to 700.00 might be a good quote. I am not sure where you are from but location is a factor also.
Fiber glass is a bit of a pain to work with and this could be the reason the bid is more and the comment about it making it only look $200.00 better is a clue, that he doesn't want to mess with it. When the kit comes? you need to test fit it. then you need to sand the components a little bit and fill any imperfections. Then Prime it followed by the Paint,( 3 to 5 coats depending on the color you are going to use? Reds and oranges take a few more coats to cover. Blacks and Silvers are mire forgiving) and finally the clear coat.

So you may want to get more bids. You may want to check the link I have provided razzi is known for quality. The product will set your car out to be just a bit hotter of a look than the average one.
https://www.razzi.com/online-catalog...t/monte-carlo/

The ones I have are RK Sport brand they only make a 5th gen kit but many other rides are available. The experience I had was everything mounted right up with very little issues to trim or adjust, 3M tape and a few screws took about 2 hours but we were having a few beers doing it too. Probably been on since 2004 on mine and I love it.

The Razzi link is great, I've been struggling to look for some alternates to the usual duraflex you find online. I will definitely check into those. I am in Lawrence, does anyone in eastern kansas know of a good place to have this done?

wht02monte 07-23-2017 07:24 AM

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/at...0001_large.jpg

Only one I personally think isnt god awful looking.. Actually like that one.. Def worth the money. Youd get nonstop compliments surely..

wht02monte 07-23-2017 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Keudn (Post 704930)
The Razzi link is great, I've been struggling to look for some alternates to the usual duraflex you find online. I will definitely check into those. I am in Lawrence, does anyone in eastern kansas know of a good place to have this done?

Its easy enough for the most beginning of beginners to do..

Keudn 07-23-2017 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 704934)
Its easy enough for the most beginning of beginners to do..

The issue I have is painting. I have no body work experience but I feel like I could handle the mounting. My issue is painting, I don't have a paint gun or a dust-free enough space to paint it in

Keudn 07-23-2017 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 704933)
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/at...0001_large.jpg

Only one I personally think isnt god awful looking.. Actually like that one.. Def worth the money. Youd get nonstop compliments surely..

Also, do you know what body kit that black monte has? Is it the Razzi package?

wht02monte 07-23-2017 12:08 PM

Yea, the second picture, the black one is the Razzi kit.. Absolutely amazing looking..

I have my left fender, hood, roof, and trunk all painted with dupli color spray cans/clear coat.. Took A TON of polishing and need to keep it waxed real good but you cant tell the difference from the rest of the car.. Im not recommending that, but its something to think about.. I wouldnt do it again but im more than satisfied with the turn out of it. Its surely not as durable and I DO plan to get the whole car professionally painted in a year of so.. I would think with it being so low to the ground, it would not work on a body kit.. But again, it could be a "hold over" if you needed to save up some money..