Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): Nasty Ass Headlight Question (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/nasty-ass-headlight-question-57516/)

96z34man 12-05-2016 01:29 AM

Nasty Ass Headlight Question

Is there an aftermarket product that actually works to refinish these headlight capsules, or do I just need to suck it up and pay Sam's the $30?

(This is one of those times I really miss the Aurora. Olds used the higher-quality plastic that Cadillac still uses. Two applications of Meguiar Plast-X every six months and I was good.)

WBody 12-05-2016 08:51 AM

What are you doing, getting the yellow off? They have kits but I never used them to much success since my headlights were too bad by the time I got around to them - but that's my fault.

I've wet sanded my 04 GP with great results.

ChibiBlackSheep 12-05-2016 12:32 PM

You can clean them, but unfortunately when they start to haze, it's because all of the protectants in the plastic are gone.

I've successfully wet-sanded and cleaned before, but within a year they were hazy again.

Full replacements are the best bet IMO (if you are keeping the car longer than a couple of years)

WBody 12-05-2016 01:27 PM

I painted mine and wax them. about 1 year so far no problems. I'll try to keep posted; maybe I'll start taking a pic at the 1st of the month to see if there is any changes.

96z34man 12-08-2016 01:16 AM

Latest thing I tried is the Turtle Wax $9 kit. The passenger side is passable. No response on the driver's side. Then I tried wet sanding. It looked great after the last time I rinsed it off, then within an hour, all hazed over again....

96z34man 12-08-2016 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 698057)
You can clean them, but unfortunately when they start to haze, it's because all of the protectants in the plastic are gone.

I've successfully wet-sanded and cleaned before, but within a year they were hazy again.

Full replacements are the best bet IMO (if you are keeping the car longer than a couple of years)

Full replacements are also over $200 a pair if new, and most of the boneyard ones aren't much better than mine. I had someone agree to sell me one for $30, but when I balked at driving to Jacksonville, he sold it out from under me.

WBody 12-08-2016 07:46 AM

When you wet sand them, you'll need to put something on them. Again I painted mine and wax over the paint. I don't think I took a before pic but I'll see about getting a pic soon.

nitehawkjcb 12-08-2016 09:25 AM

Most body shops spray a layer of clear coat after wet sanding.

96z34man 12-09-2016 12:24 AM

I couldn't possibly have gotten a coat of clear coat on and had it dry before the haze returned to mine.

I'm sucking it up and having Sam's work on them tomorrow. I just can't stand to look at it another day.

drivernumber3 12-10-2016 05:09 PM

For what it's worth a friend of mine Wet sanded his. Began with 400 and ended with 2000. Then he used a floor wax on the plastic, It used to be called Future floor wax, some one bought them out and it is still available under a different brand. (pledge floor care) he said it is holding up so far. :confused:
Been 6 months and on occasion he will recoat with the wax.