Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Looking for a place to do good paint work (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/looking-place-do-good-paint-work-59625/)

Montess05 04-20-2018 08:29 PM

Looking for a place to do good paint work

My 05 SS was sitting for a while and has some bumps and many scratches. Only rust around the wheel well. Don’t know if that’s common I was told it was. Anyway I need a few names of places that do good work for good prices on montes

The_Maniac 04-20-2018 11:45 PM

Can you share where you are located? Otherwise it's hard to give recommendations of places near you.

bumpin96monte 04-21-2018 09:02 PM

Not that Im trying to push people away from this forum, but have you considered posting on a local board or local Facebook page?

I just think the chances that someone happens to be in your city and has had a good amount of body work done is pretty slim. I know there are some chain shops (ie MAACO, etc). But it's hard to predict how well a local store will do based off an experience across the country.

I will say, if youve got rust coming through the wheel wells, id prepare for an expensive bill. How are the strut towers and rockers looking? Depending on the extent of the rust, it could take a good bit of work to make sure its permanently fixed and not just prepped and painted over.

Montess05 04-22-2018 09:25 AM

Wasn’t specific enough

im in the Detroit area. I’m just trying to make her look nice and I’ve asked plenty of places. Just seeing if anyone here has had a good experience somewhere for a car like mine

96z34man 04-22-2018 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 710845)

I will say, if youve got rust coming through the wheel wells, id prepare for an expensive bill. How are the strut towers and rockers looking? Depending on the extent of the rust, it could take a good bit of work to make sure its permanently fixed and not just prepped and painted over.

Getting two rear fenders out of a junkyard somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line shouldn't be an "expensive bill," and it's the only way to make sure the problem is solved.

06mistreSS 04-24-2018 09:43 AM

Dealership :thumbsup:

I've had two experiences with GM dealership body work and both did an excellent job.

Montess05 04-24-2018 10:20 AM

The dealership goes back that far? I work for the suburban chain. If I knew that I would have done that

bumpin96monte 04-25-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 96z34man (Post 710880)
Getting two rear fenders out of a junkyard somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line shouldn't be an "expensive bill," and it's the only way to make sure the problem is solved.

Guess it depends on which wheel wells he's talking about. If it's fronts only, then I agree, there are plenty of cheap options.

I assumed he was talking about the rears. If that's the case, it's expensive no matter how you go about it.

Regardless, if any fenders are rusted through, there's probably a lot more rust damage that may need to be fixed elsewhere in the underbody.