Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

VHT Nite shade

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Default VHT Nite shade

Has anyone ever heard of VHT Nite Shade? It is a spray film that you can use to smoke your tail lights. With only paying like 20 bucks for both the can of this stuff and a can of Duplicolor clear coat, I can't see where I could go wrong. Has anyone actually used this stuff before?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A lot of us have. You need to put it on according to how dark you want your tails, then you must clear over it or it will fade within a year, also with the clear coat you may have to buff it to make it come to a shine again.

lastly, check with cops in your area or something to see how strict they are on it, some places it's not allowed in

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Well I live in Nebraska, so I'm sure it's illegal.. Ignorance may get the best of me haha

Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 PM

I've used it before with varying results. I don't care for it too much because its very easy to end up with one of the two

rough, textured looking finish or uneven coverage.

That's not to say it can't come out looking awesome cause it can but it definitely takes time, practice and patience.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member

i've gotten a textured look before too, that's why you have to buff it to a shine.

and it shouldn't cover unevenly unless you are inexperienced in painting and lather it on there to where it could run.

just do many light coats, thick enough but not too thick to run

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM

LMAO

I've been rattle canning stuff longer than you've been alive, i'm very skilled with rattle can in hand, my friends and family call me the rattle can king. So to say I was humbled by my VHT Nightshade experiences would be a major understatement. I never buff anything to get rid of texture, that's like paint finishing 101. If there's a texture to it then that calls for wetsanding, that's what will take care of the texture. Sanding gets rid of the peaks, buffing shines them up.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Milhouse
LMAO

I've been rattle canning stuff longer than you've been alive, i'm very skilled with rattle can in hand, my friends and family call me the rattle can king. So to say I was humbled by my VHT Nightshade experiences would be a major understatement. I never buff anything to get rid of texture, that's like paint finishing 101. If there's a texture to it then that calls for wetsanding, that's what will take care of the texture. Sanding gets rid of the peaks, buffing shines them up.
Not asking for another argument, thanks though.

The VHT should apply just like a standard rattle can paint, for the vht you really don't need to wet sand because the grooves aren't that deep, use some compound and just buff each side and it will shine right up

Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Not asking for another argument, thanks though.

The VHT should apply just like a standard rattle can paint, for the vht you really don't need to wet sand because the grooves aren't that deep, use some compound and just buff each side and it will shine right up
Then don't argue, i'm not

VHT does apply like standard rattle can paint, but the obvious difference between the two is that VHT allows light to pass through it. Because of this it is very easy for discrepancies in thickness of material (the VHT) to show by way of more or less light showing through a particular area than another. Those discrepancies don't show up when using standard rattle can paint, unless it's a candy.

Compound adds fine scratches of it's own to whatever you're using it on so it's always necessary to follow it up with a nice polish to get rid of them. I always finish my polish jobs with a coat of wax to seal the deal

Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 AM

please search, as ive done niteshades numerous times ... done it well ... done it for numerous other people ... got paid to do it for other people ... wetsanded, clear coated, wetsanded and buffed my way to shiny surfaced niteshaded things ... AND HAVE POSTED A WRITE UP ON THIS VERY SITE instructing ( IMHO ) the best way for an amateur painter to attempt the niteshade process ...

my headlights are niteshaded - with a gradient/ fade to allow light to pass through nearly unrestricted from the driving lights ... and my taillights have a section masked out to allow for unrestricted light to shine through

Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 AM

p.s. i am the niteshade master ... but then again ... i have a bachelors degree in art education, am a graphic designer, painter and printmaker

Quick Reply: VHT Nite shade