Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

86 monte ss rottttttt

Old 07-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Thumbs down 86 monte ss rottttttt

Well, i put the monte up on the lift today to change the trany seal.. found out the car needs a whole trans.. anyways. there so so much rot on this thing its crazzy. needs a new drivers side rear control arm..(passenger side has been replaced).. the frame is fine no rot at all.. but all 4 rear trany mounts are rotted out completely. drivers side floor/door is complete rotted can see carpet.. the whole front is fine no rust at all.. i jus wana kno if its worth replacing the trany with all these body problems. seein that i dont have a job i only have like 600 to work with maybe a bit more... please give ur 2 cents

corey

Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 PM

I kinda feel like im wasting the car with out restroing it 100%.. wich is why i made this post jus to see wat others had to say lol.. kinda pointless i see

Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

restoring can be f'in expensive, i have a budy with a 85 he's dump probably 9g in in it and not even close to beig finished, granted he put in a curry 9in, hotchkis sus, floor pans, an a bunch of otherstuff, but i say find yourself a job, buy a $500 beater, and start savin to restor, buy peice by peice,

Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 AM

I remember when I had my 86 cut and stepped into the back seat and my foot went through the floor. That thing was rotted all over the place so I called up the junk yard and got me 200bucks

Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
restoring can be f'in expensive, i have a budy with a 85 he's dump probably 9g in in it and not even close to beig finished, granted he put in a curry 9in, hotchkis sus, floor pans, an a bunch of otherstuff, but i say find yourself a job, buy a $500 beater, and start savin to restor, buy peice by peice,
well i have 2 wranglers i can drive.9 grand damn... im gana make the edges of my floor pan with sheet metal. an get body mounts an control arm should be ok besides the outer body lol. from rockauto the rockers are only 14 a peice

Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM

your car is worth saving !! but it may be time for a frame off resto . and they can be done on the cheap. if you do the work your self.
i did my second monte as a DD and i did it on the cheap for around 3000$
thats was all new brakes,shocks,ball joints (stock replacement) polly body mounts and suspension bushings . and as for the body i got a new quarter panel and a set of rockers along with repairing the doors. and for the floor i got a sheet of 18 gauge steel and did my own floors. (thats where i saved the most )

Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

idk, dosent sound to terrable to me... its never been smashed so everything should line up ok, and the frame is good which is a major good thing... floorpans can be made from old metal shelving units or washing macheine / dryer casings.... free steel & it does the trick, i've done it before

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM

you could also buy complete ready to go floor pans. theyre pricey. http://opgi.com/product.asp?topcatid...odcode=L240515
i personally patched mine with sheet metal. only you can decide if the car is worth all the effort . if its a real ss car its worth something but not as much as most people believe. body panels are expensive and if you ask me its the most important part of the car. drive train swaps are easy. quarters, floors, doors and all that i feel is way harder. i dumped money into body panels and i think its cheaper to start with a rust free body. like i said i would find a old lady owned rust free body and slap all your ss stuff on it.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Hey guys. yes the frame is perfact. yes ima make my own floors and wat not. get a new control arm and body mounts.. needs a new q panel on drivers side. also needs drivers side door. prob salvage the passenger one.. and yes its a realll SS

Search this Thread