Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   How to paint my new spoiler (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/how-paint-my-new-spoiler-51547/)

Red Monte Carlo 12-22-2014 03:48 PM

How to paint my new spoiler

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a new spoiler from nemesis, and I need to know how to paint it so it looks exactly like the color of my car. Does anyone here know what I would need to do? Im sure I can find some exact color match paint online but also would I need to put some gloss or something on it after?n:confused: thanks :)

crazyzach722 12-22-2014 05:57 PM

I would sand it, primary it. Then apply coats of paint until enough is added. Then add clear coat. That should take a couple of coats as well. Then once all is dry, wet sand it and buff it out. It turned out fine on my car plus there are videos on you tube to show you exactly how to do this.

STUMPMI 12-23-2014 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo (Post 640774)
I bought a new spoiler from nemesis, and I need to know how to paint it so it looks exactly like the color of my car. Does anyone here know what I would need to do? Im sure I can find some exact color match paint online but also would I need to put some gloss or something on it after?n:confused: thanks :)

After the initial sanding.. you may need to use etching primer to fill the "Minor" imperfections in the fiberglass surface before you put down any color.
Be sure when you paint it.. after sanding....
Its completely dust free in and around the area your going to paint it in...

Use denatured alcohol for a clean grease free and contaminate free surface ..

Also you can go to painters supply..
Get the paint code off the vehicle (usually a sticker on the inside of the trunk lid) Give it to them and they can mix up the color of your car.:thumbsup:

besure to wet sand between coats...(Basecoat/Clearcote) to be sure you have a smooth surface.. I would also be kinda generious with the clear coat on the final coat... Just be sure that you don't get any flash over while doing each coat... or youll have dull spots and possibly have to resand it and start over.. use a test piece of to the side to be able to tell when each coat is tacky and ready for the next coat.:thumbsup:
That way you wont have to risk any defects/finger prints in your freshly painted spoiler... on your finishing coats..

Good luck and keep us posted..

drivernumber3 12-23-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo (Post 640774)

Just a note on Red Paint Some of them don't cover as well as others, I would recommend using a very light colored primer.
Speaking from experience, I had a spoiler for a Red Monte and the paint I first purchased was terrible for coverage ( got it at the auto parts store) . So I went to the Paint supplier store and got the good stuff. I used a Light primer and the Red clear coat after that, then applied the clear coat, you will need a thinner as well they can recommend the proper one most times referred to as a (reducer). The coverage was 200% better. You can tell when it comes out of the spray gun if it will work, Test it first.
Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Red Monte Carlo 12-23-2014 01:42 PM

Thanks for your replies! Im ready to get this painted and put on my car!

el pachuco 01-02-2015 12:02 AM

The rear spoiler on my '03 was in bad need of fresh paint so I priced the supplies I would need and it came to over $50. Just for grins, I stopped in at my local body shop and asked how much he would charge me to prep, paint and clear the spoiler. He said $80.

I jumped on that deal like a hobo on a ham sammich. It's worth asking your local shop and if you don't get the number you want, try another.

Red Monte Carlo 01-02-2015 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by el pachuco (Post 641987)
The rear spoiler on my '03 was in bad need of fresh paint so I priced the supplies I would need and it came to over $50. Just for grins, I stopped in at my local body shop and asked how much he would charge me to prep, paint and clear the spoiler. He said $80.

I jumped on that deal like a hobo on a ham sammich. It's worth asking your local shop and if you don't get the number you want, try another.

Wow... I might have to. My supplies cost about the same and it turned out rough. Ill check it out sometime to get it painted the right way!

el pachuco 01-02-2015 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo (Post 642129)
Wow... I might have to. My supplies cost about the same and it turned out rough. Ill check it out sometime to get it painted the right way!

I think you'll be glad you did. I know I was.:thumbsup: