Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Full paint job

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Full paint job

Anyone kind enough to give me a step by step + supplies needed to paint my car?

Would greatly appreciate it. Something ive been planning to do for a while and finally think im ready to take it on.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM

TBH, if you're serious about this, head to the book store and buy a how to book. No one is going to be able to summarize the whole thing accurately in a simple post or two and $20 is a small investment if you're really considering dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars on this.

On my monte, I've painted the front and rear bumpers, the rear trunk panel, as well as the inside of my fiberglass door panels (that was the first car I ever painted on). Its not hard at all, but it can be time consuming.

A few things I've picked up:
-Prep is key. The parts you're painting need to have the body work issues sorted out completely before you start painting or its going to look like trash. No reason to put nice new paint over dented and warped panels. This can get extremely time consuming to get perfect.
-Clean air is very important. Any oil or water in the lines makes for a big problem. A nice trap and filter are seriously worth their price.
-Clean environment is important and can be one of the hardest things to fix. If you've got a bunch of dust and debris floating around, some of it will end up in the paint. It is certainly fixable if you catch it before adding more paint on top, but it gets to be a pain having to go back to remove junk every time.
-IMO a high end gun is not needed, especially for a beginner. No doubt there are some nice features, but you can produce perfectly good results with lower end guns.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-19-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My buddy Dustin built a homemade paint booth and painted his Camaro at home.

If you start at post #1622, you'll start to see how he pulled it off.

OperationX - Page 55 - V6 F-Body.com