Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Blacked out headlights/projectors (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/blacked-out-headlights-projectors-51834/)

bfenty 01-19-2015 11:47 AM

Blacked out headlights/projectors

Anyone know where you can get a good set of blacked out lights for a 6th gen? Be even better if they were projectors, but I don't think they even make them. I've heard that some people can mod your existing lights, any idea how much that costs? Anyone on here do this kind of thing?

MonteLSV6 01-19-2015 02:35 PM

eBay has quite a few listing of blacked out headlights. When I still had the Monte, this was my choice...

2000 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Headlights Black Color Housing Pair Bulb Include | eBay

ChibiBlackSheep 01-19-2015 02:42 PM

Blacked out headlights do exist, as linked.

Projectors do not exist for our cars. Also I thought the light output wasn't that great from the blacked out headlight and I went back to stock. Although I loved the look and I might go back to the blacked headlights since I no longer daily drive the Monte

bfenty 01-20-2015 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the link, that's MUCH cheaper than I've found them elsewhere.

You say that they make the lights much dimmer? I've got 5K HIDs in there, they're pretty bright.

My problem is that I've got tinted windows, and to me at least, the headlights look odd because of how white they are. I don't want them completely dark, just a little darker than they currently are:

Attachment 36582

edit: I've also considered doing a light tint on them, but I'm not sure how legal that is, and that would DEFINITELY affect the light output. Probably be considerably cheaper, though. Anyone have experience with tint?

ChibiBlackSheep 01-20-2015 11:36 AM

I'm a strong believer of not running HIDs in a non-projector, so I never went for the HID in my blacked headlights.

The company is blacking out most of the reflector inside the housing, which is what scatters the beam forward, so it just affects light output by the very nature that they are made. It was too much for me when driving back roads, I just couldn't see comfortably and put my stockers back in.

YMMV, and you might be happy with the light output with your HID bulbs.

bfenty 01-20-2015 11:39 AM

I'm a strong believer of not running HIDs in a non-projector
Just curious why that is?

P343 01-20-2015 11:41 AM

I need to get new headlights for mine. They have condensation on the inside. Then I need to get taillights too. They are cracked and have condensation also. :(

ChibiBlackSheep 01-20-2015 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bfenty (Post 644437)
Just curious why that is?

Because I hate when I drive around people that do it. It scatters the beam too erratic and blinds on-coming drivers.

bfenty 01-20-2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 644449)
Because I hate when I drive around people that do it. It scatters the beam too erratic and blinds on-coming drivers.

Oh. Hadn't thought about it that way. I live on some country back roads, and like to be able to see really well at night. Didn't even occur to me they might be bothering other drivers.

:(

crazyzach722 01-20-2015 02:48 PM

I have the black lights on my monte. They look good, I never had them without my hids in so I am not sure how they would look with them.