Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Any car cover suggestions for a 2000 Monte Carlo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 PM
1 Year Member
Default Any car cover suggestions for a 2000 Monte Carlo?

Hi.

My Monte was always garaged or kept in a carport by its former owners, and the excellent paint contrition shows it. But I have nothing to put my new Monte under.

I bought one of those $35 one-size-fits-all covers at Auto Zone, and it was basically a crumpled one-layer fabric trash bag to throw over your car, plus it didn't even fit right, so I'm returning it. It hailed 2 days ago and the car was fine with no cover, but I have an image stuck in my mind of a Pontiac I saw from Michigan covered in pock marks from bumper to bumper! I guess maybe I need to invest more than $35.

Any suggestions on a good cover for my Monte? Are there significant advantages between a custom fit and one-size-fits-all, when price difference is taken into consideration? I'm hoping to spend as as little as possible, definitely under $100. I have to keep it outside on a steep driveway, a few tall trees nearby, sunny/hot/fairly humid in Summer, a decent amount of rain, and occasional mild hail. (Live in central Virginia) I don't care as much about the interior fading, it's in decent to worn condition and I will have covers on the leather. This is my daily driver, so ease of removal and storage is important as well. Just need a good all around cover that will help preserve the paint and protect it from dirt/leaves/etc. Don't want to buy another one without someone else's opinion!

Thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If this is a cover for a daily driven car, I don't recommend a cover. They will do more harm than good if you constantly are putting covers on a dirty/dusty car.

If it's for longer term storage, or in between drives on only nice days, I recommend the Covercraft NOAH fabric cover. Yes it's expensive, but damn is it worth it. I use it to store my Monte every year.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I concur with everything Chibi said. My car cover is made with the NOAH fabric by Wolf Automotive (now they are owned by Cover Craft). Custom fit for my Monte. I used to store my Monte outside. To explain how good they are, I accidentally left my passenger side window down all winter! Did not find out until mid-spring. The car had been subjected to tons of snow/ice/rain during that time and zero harm to the interior! No critters either.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I too agree the daily removal / reinstalling of the car cover over your Monte will lead to unintended paint damage. The day to day dust if not removed with say a California duster will be caught up in the underside of the covers fabric, collect and this will chaff your cars clear coat leading to swirl marks. Even when the cover is on, its outer surface collects dirt and unless you remove that dirt / dust with say a California duster when you roll up your car cover the underside gets contaminated during the rolling folding process. Then when you put it back on your car the underside will be dirty and chaff the paint, especially during windy conditions.

The way around this is to buy a high quality cover with a slick outer surface that's you can dust off easy enough, roll it up, store it, before you cover the Monte again, dust of its painted surface off and then put your cover back on. It's not really that bad of a process once you get a routine going. I know, been there and done that.

I too use CoverCraft with the Noah material. Somethings you just have to open your wallet for, and our Montes always want your money...

Old 01-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Check this link for an option

Check this link for an option not to bad of a price. I think you can buy online too.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...623504&ipos=16

Old 01-18-2018, 04:56 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If this is a cover for a daily driven car, I don't recommend a cover. They will do more harm than good if you constantly are putting covers on a dirty/dusty car.

If it's for longer term storage, or in between drives on only nice days, I recommend the Covercraft NOAH fabric cover. Yes it's expensive, but damn is it worth it. I use it to store my Monte every year.
Ok. I guess I never really thought of it that way, but you're right. I will be driving this car several times a week in all seasons. There won't be any significant length of time that would warrant putting a cover on.

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Check this link for an option not to bad of a price. I think you can buy online too.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...623504&ipos=16
Hadn't really thought about that route, but with that price I will have to consider it.

Thanks for your help guys!